Engine mount issue

Greeks

I experienced catastrophic failure of the passenger side engine mount. The top segment pulled away from the bottom so it appeared to still be connected.

I replaced with a used mount exactly the same ... but it looks to be heading the same way.  >:(

Am I right in thinking there should be a packing piece under the mount like this?
http://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=147026SH

'Cos I didn't notice one there  ??)

I thought the reason for the packing was to get the angle right for the carbs, but i've never had a fuelling issue.

FWIW even with Stan Part mounts (yep the rubber is embosed with his name) oil is a killer - I noticed that our LandRover Disco has small tin umbrellas to shield the mounts from heat and the inevitable oil bath - at least LR designers are pragmatic enough to admit their engine aren't oilproof and the mounts will be hammered.
Reckon something similar could be fashioned for the 2000 range.

http://www.landroverclassicparts.com.au/ProductDetailLarge.aspx?largerProduct=115170       or at less than 3 quid each maybe adapted?

With a 2500 (pre HS6) you need a one packing piece each side - this is to allow the sump to clear the rack although my mates PI copes without them - maybe its a PAS thing - with a HS6 car you should need two on the RHS to tilt the engine enough to fit the airbox.

lagerzok wrote:

With a 2500 (pre HS6) you need a one packing piece each side - this is to allow the sump to clear the rack although my mates PI copes without them - maybe its a PAS thing - with a HS6 car you should need two on the RHS to tilt the engine enough to fit the airbox.

Ah, it's on the driver's side.

Well maybe i'll check and see if they're hidden away there. Pretty sure they will be, but the bugger on the passenger side is really getting twisted.

... imagine the fun if the oil filter ground away on the chassis!!!!

After 40 years of oil contamination one of my original engine mounts had partially collapsed and looked like it had melted but it was still all in one piece.

A new pair of quality mounts from Witor made a big difference, much less vibration.

What you really need are the active engine mounts you get on modern cars, they stiffen up under cornering etc to prevent the mass of the engine moving and upsetting the balance of the car..........

timbancroft61 wrote:
Does'nt need to be said but the Austrailian made mounts that Chris W sells are superior to the the cheaper ones on sell by other traders.

I have a nice pair of boxed Witor items that I intend to fit soon, certianly before the next RBRR!

Graham, when you over next, howabout October 2012???

Tim that would great but we're aiming for May... with a baby seat in the luggage!

Archived