Sump Plugs troubles

Dan16v

Quoted from Sheepy

yes but then thezy may ruin it even more, or worse completely mess it and the sump up!

i have a set of sockets at home, that have a grip pattern on the inside for just that purpose. as you turn the socket like you are undoing a bolt, the socket grips and undoes the bolt
i will have a look to see what make they are!

cheers
shaun

It was last serviced by a garage who might not have been into classics, its probably why the plug is so tight!

hopefully it is not cross threaded.
My family owned a shop years ago. Had to fix a customers sump plug with a rubber jobber. Never heard back from them so I presume it worked out as intended.
Here's a pic I dug  up. Autozone sells these in the States, so your local FLAPS should have them. It's not the same sort of thing as what I used, but looks much better.

At some point I'm going to be doing the oil on my 13/60. Same sump plug as the one in the OP (sticky-out square), at a glance it actually looks square! so hopefully it won't give too much grief.

I might be being thick, but is it possible to get a specific tool to remove the square sump plugs? A quick look round Halfords and I didn't spot anything, which surprised me as they have at least two or three alternatives for the 'inverted' type of plug (as I have on my modern).
The correct tool would hopefully avoid rounding off an otherwise good square plug.

• 3 weeks later...

well what a pain that was to get off, no room for a ratchet head between the chassis leg and the sump plug even if a socket would fit.  Stilsons didn't seem to work as it was too rounded.

I ended up filing it square again to fit the wrong end of a socket with a 3/8" square drive, allen key bit in the socket with a decent size spanner on it with a big bar, but even with a 2ft bar it took quite a bit of force to get it off!

Nice new magnetic sump plug with a proper nut is on there now, hopefully it will be much easier next year.

Quoted from nang
Find someone with a lathe. I've made quite a few out of 3/4" hex brass. With the aid of a 3/8" NPT taper die to finish. No more rounding off problems unless you let a 'mechanic" loose with a Crescent or a pair of stillsons. (eek)
Tony.

James Paddock had a decent size hex head plug with sealing washer and magnet for about £8, not a taper thread but probably a bit easier to get off next year