Sump Plugs troubles

Dan16v

Afternoon all

Just doing the annual service on the GT6, its the first time I have tried to remove the sump plug since owning the car and its stuck solid.  I've read a fair few posts about how people have gotten them undone, a fair bit of heat on it though doesn't seem to make any difference, although its a bit limited how much leverage I can get on the 11mm spanner.

Looking at the plug it doesn't seem to go in square to the face of the sump, its more noticeable when the spanner is on it than you can see in the picture below, but being tapered do these things still seal up if cross threaded? or in general are the sump plug holes not square to the raised face?  Given it was serviced only 12 months ago, it should have been off recently so im surprised its that tight.

Quoted from ferny
They're 7/16, unless my brain is going wonky. Looks fairly rounded now.

Try tightening it which requires less energy and could free it off enough to let you undo it.

Since its been rounded before the 11mm seems to fit a little better, but in the 2nd position on the other 2 flats the spanner fits tightly.

I did give it a go tightening it first before then trying to back it off, but not any luck

Quoted from ferny
They're 7/16, unless my brain is going wonky. Looks fairly rounded now.

Try tightening it which requires less energy and could free it off enough to let you undo it.

Since its been rounded before the 11mm seems to fit a little better, but in the 2nd position on the other 2 flats the spanner fits tightly.

I did give it a go tightening it first before then trying to back it off, but not any luck

Tapered thread and done up too tight.  Don't bother trying to tighten - that trick doesn't work with tapers.  Suitably sized stilson wrench or weld a nut on it.  Attempting to remove it while the engine is hot may help a little.  Suggest replacing with a  magnetic sump plug with 3/4" (19mm) hex head.

Nick

Hi

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIU.....?hash=item567cbcc661a couple of years ago as the main problem is getting a good fitting spanner before it starts to round off. In your position I would use a mole grip /vice grip quality tool not a cheapo type and get it locked on flat tight and square. Alternatively a quality pair of stilsons.

Mark

thanks all, well i tried yet more heat and the spanner would hold on it ok but even with a bit of pipe over the spanner to get a bit more leverage, still no luck, even hitting the spanner with a decent weight mallet wouldn't shock the taper undone didn't do anything.

The problem is also getting it high enough off the ground to get a good sized pair of stilsons on it, unfortunately I don't have a pit or a decent set of ramps so getting more leverage on it is trick - i don't suppose anyone local to me (im near Sandhurst in Berkshire) has a pit and a good sized pair of stilsons?

Thanks for the tip on the magnetic sump plug with 3/4" (19mm) hex head, sounds much easier

Get a proper socket which is the correct tool for the job, my socket set (which is a good quality one)  includes 4 sided sockets in 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 sizes. This allows proper contact without rounding off and more force to be applied. However I'm not sure whether there is enough clearance on a Spit/GT6 between the sump and the chassis rail to use a socket and ratchet/breaker bar so you may have to raise the engine.

Quoted from cook1e
Get a proper socket which is the correct tool for the job, my socket set (which is a good quality one)  includes 4 sided sockets in 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 sizes. This allows proper contact without rounding off and more force to be applied. However I'm not sure whether there is enough clearance on a Spit/GT6 between the sump and the chassis rail to use a socket and ratchet/breaker bar so you may have to raise the engine.

yes, clearance to it is a pain, you cant get a 3/8 to 1/2 converter on it to put the longer bar on, I will have a look out for some 1/2 inch drive 4 sided sockets, but it will be a tight fit

Quoted from bob dunn
Go to a garage and get them to change the oil.

yes but then thezy may ruin it even more, or worse completely mess it and the sump up!

i have a set of sockets at home, that have a grip pattern on the inside for just that purpose. as you turn the socket like you are undoing a bolt, the socket grips and undoes the bolt
i will have a look to see what make they are!

cheers
shaun

I have a set of snap on ones (actually made by Irwin!)

If you get the plug out (and you will, I find stilsons best. Pete had to make a socket up out of serious steel, and even put a taper on the socket) I would use a gearbox plug. Hex head and a magnet attached. All good!

Quoted from cliftyhanger
I have a set of snap on ones (actually made by Irwin!)

If you get the plug out (and you will, I find stilsons best. Pete had to make a socket up out of serious steel, and even put a taper on the socket) I would use a gearbox plug. Hex head and a magnet attached. All good!

Stilsons ordered, new magnetic sump hex plug ordered, just need to find a bit more height to get under it a bit more.......I do miss having a inspection pit in my garage, it made these jobs so much easier