Auminium Radiator

MrSpeedy

Just thought some of you may like to know about the latest conversion I've done on my Vitesse.

I previously had a Honda Civic radiator in place, but this proved inefficient during the recent hot spell.

I have now succesfully modified and fitted an Ali radiator that is for a Ford RS2000.

The hose connections are near as damn it correct for our application, but it is marginally taller, so I had to cut a slot in the front valance to allow the radiator bottom tank to sit through by about an inch to give under bonnet clearance.

I also had to modify the mountings on the Rad itself, but a fairly straight forwards conversion.

@ carlton - all being well (mot tomorrow) I'll be heading down Sunday morning with a few others. When you going down?

@ cliftyhanger - don't know about Stafford, I'll need to look at that

@ martin m - I used an aluminium one. Just simply couldn't dissipate the heat that the huge mass of cast iron generated/stored.

Speedy, on the old,n, did ye have side  covers around the rad,
to stop air spillage from sides,!!!

no good having a rad that half the air goes around it, rather than thru it
I have no probs at all with a original rad, and I got some good stout GG,s in there to,!!

M

I used a Honda Civic one, but had to fabricate a thermostat cover with the hose connector to the right, as the rad outlet was on the right.  That Ford one looks the same size and has the outlet on the 'correct' side.  Works fine with no valences, I'm making up panels to block air flow around the sides at the bonnet opeoenign but I'll need to do something for the engine cool airflow then.
John

john, the Ford one is marginally bigger in heuight and width than the standard Vitesse rad, and as said I had to cut the bottom out of the friont valance to allow the bottom tank to sit through about 3/4" - 1". The hose connections are the same size and roughly in the same place, tho again, the bottom one is slightly too low and if you had a steel valance you'd be cutting it for clearance (The 'glass one just bends a little out the way ;) )

When I had the Civic rad in, I extended the top hose inlet pipe to roughly the same position as the original Trimph one

Comparison of Civic Rad (right) and RS2000 rad (left)

5999 wrote:
@ carlton - all being well (mot tomorrow) I'll be heading down Sunday morning with a few others. When you going down?

@ cliftyhanger - don't know about Stafford, I'll need to look at that

@ martin m - I used an aluminium one. Just simply couldn't dissipate the heat that the huge mass of cast iron generated/stored.

im going down sunday morning for 11 ish hopefully 8)