Swedish Overdrive

BigT-DK

OD boxes for a saloon are a bit thin on the ground here in Denmark... this got me thinking after browsing this http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD1/JOD1.htm

It seems 70s/80s volvos used the same OD unit ? I am only 30 mins from Sweden and 1000s of old cheap volvo gearboxes :)

I will need a new mainshaft and some flange swapping maybe? Can it be done? I think it would come 2 about £200-250 for the gearbox and mainshaft... to clarify I would be adding the OD to my own Triumph gearbox and flog the volvo remains..

what is the going rate for a second hand "original" Triumph Jtype box these days?

I have seen secondhand J-type saloon boxes go from £30 upwards on Ebay, seem to be a bit higher now-a-days.

Can go for over £200 though, usually when a TR owner wants one to convert.

Always much cheaper than A-type boxes.

The expensive bit is the adaptor plate between the gearbox and overdrive, and the mainshaft a close second.

I beleive the Triumph traders regularly used Volvo and Ford overdrives.

Cheers

Colin

be wary, the ones fitted to the volvos were called P Types, had a 27% reduction, and a different rear end. So if getting one of these, then you will need to mod the rear end,to mate to your  prop

Im no to sure, but i think you will be able to use the Triumph main shaft, as it will still mate with the OD  splines.
Steeve Tigger, should be able to say, as He bowt yan,

Marcus

Yeah,
I've done some more googling and the volvo ODs came with 25% 27% and 28% reduction... the more the better for high-speed cruising no? ;D
They also come with a range of rear flanges - one of them is a straight swap....

I have two spare non OD  triumph boxes - and will try to get hold of some volvo units... (there is a US site with lots of info on the different bits needed to fit the volvo unit to a TRBox)

Just been looking in my digital archive and found a Volvo service manual in pdf format covering the Laycock J type overdrive.  Fitted to both the M41 and M410 gearboxes.
The M41 was fitted to P1800, PV, Amazon and 140 models, the M410 to 164 models - generally speaking.  M40 and M400 are non-OD boxes.
Reduction ratio stated as 0.797:1.  

Wiki says this in regards to P1800: "Two overdrive types were used, the D-Type through 1969, and the J-type through 1973. The J-type had a slightly shorter ratio of 0.797:1 as opposed to 0.756:1 for the D-type."

Canley Classics says this: "Note for information there are two different ratios of J type fitted, with 2.5 cars having a 28% ratio and all others 25%, (the first two figures of the plate on the RHS of the front case is the ratio). In addition some later Volvo units are 27%."

The Triumph2000 register website has the specs as thus: D type 0.82:1, J type 0.797:1.

Rimmers have the J type listed at 400 quid reconditioned.  The gearbox-overdrive adaptor plate is listed as no longer available.

I have been looking at the m46 box...

think this was fitted to 240 and 760 models.. The boxes seem cheap enough in Sweden (even some in Denmark) - adapter plate between OD and gearbox can be sourced in the US but is $$$ (the volvo one is probably wrong)

sorbs wrote:
Does such high gearing make it a bit sluggish?  I remember driving a 2500S.  I always seemed to be having to drop it out of top to get up hills.

The P1800 ES (130bhp, 1,175kg apparently) here has a j-type and only has overdrive on 4th. It's not nippy and I have to change out of o/d going up long hills but no big deal. I can't remember what its mph/rpm is but it's not far off Tim's. That's actually useful for overtaking - drop down one gear and keep your foot it and you waft pass easily without having to change up at all.

Nick_Jones wrote:
28% was standard fit on the J-type equipped 2.5 saloons.  My A-type equipped saloon would definitely pull a taller top gear.

Nick

I have both types and have always felt that the pi would be better euipped with the 28% from the estate. The estate although quite happy on a flat road, does lose revs more easily than the pi on an incline and would probably be better suited to a 25%.(or a better cam)
I prefer the action of the 'A' type in the pi though!

Colin.

That's the advantage of a pi though Tim, even if it is on SUs you will still have the pi cam and higher compression, which totally transforms the way a 2500 revs and produces power. A 2500S cam and the lower compression changes the characteristics completely.

796 wrote:
be wary, the ones fitted to the volvos were called P Types, had a 27% reduction, and a different rear end. So if getting one of these, then you will need to mod the rear end,to mate to your  prop

Im no to sure, but i think you will be able to use the Triumph main shaft, as it will still mate with the OD  splines.
Steeve Tigger, should be able to say, as He bowt yan,

Marcus

More to follow on this very soon,

In short I have managed to fit the p/j type 27% overdrive to my GT6 single rail box.
I did not have my camera handy but Gaz took some pics with his camera for me.
With luck a bit more detail in the next day or so with the photos.  :)

tiggrr1 wrote:

More to follow on this very soon,

In short I have managed to fit the p/j type 27% overdrive to my GT6 single rail box.
I did not have my camera handy but Gaz took some pics with his camera for me.
With luck a bit more detail in the next day or so with the photos.  :)

This sounds like a technical story for Club Torque Steve ;)

Archived