Retrofitting Overdrive

Anthony

sorrry for not sifting throught he threads, linked, but am i right in thinking the tunnel has to be cut back to for the ovedrive box in? mine is currently only cut to reveal the end of the propshaft on my non o/d car, leading me to believe its never had o/d. will i need to cut some back and how much ? any other mods to the car itself needed ?

If you cut out the piece from the tunnel carefully, you can use it to make the new cover. Weld or pop-rivet a lip onto the 3 cut edges of it, using 1" wide mild steel or ally strip, and then use short fat self-tappers to secure it to the tunnel. Mine's been like that for years.

thescrapman wrote:

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?????

:-)

Nothing unusual there then Colin. ;)

I Fitted Overdrive to my standard non o/d spitfire but didn't have to cut the tunnel back as it already had the plate fitted :- guess some had the bodywork ammended incase the o/d option was to be fitted :-/

thescrapman wrote:
I have taken my OD box out a couple of times and I have no cutout, just left the tunnel as it was when it was non-OD.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?????

:-)

From what I recall, it's possible but the extra cutout makes life significantly more easy to get the prop bolts undone.

Or maybe someone has been there before  . . . . . . . . .   :)

Archived