My GT6 restoration thread -updated 7/3/08

byakk0

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually in the market for a set myself.....I lost an auction on e-bay for the set in the photo......but according to one of the pros here....it seems you can buy them new fairly cheaply here.
http://www.jagspares.co.uk/Abingdon/partdetail.asp?partno=BHA4966

booley wrote:
sorry steve, i figured irish would get it because he's got a maxima....
anything jdm makes your car go faster!?!
i don't think i've ever seen those marker lites, must be ukdm?
i have to admit i like them though

lol, yes I got it.

On the Nissan forums, any silly "mod" usually gets referred to as "mAD tYTe JDM yO!"

My maxima has no JDM parts or modifications on it that I can think of...

booley wrote:
sorry steve, i figured irish would get it because he's got a maxima....
anything jdm makes your car go faster!?!
i don't think i've ever seen those marker lites, must be ukdm?
i have to admit i like them though

No apologies needed......I'm into other cars as well and I know the term JDM.....I'ma  big fan of the 2nd GEN Mr2's.  I was jsut having a brain-fade and couldn't remember what JDM meant.  

......I guess being on a Triumph forum did little to jog my memory.    

• 2 weeks later...

Just some updates....coming along on body work, some rattle-can painting, and installing most of the exterior lighting (still have to wire it). Also got the new tires put on today and cleaned up the wheels. Also bled the brakes tonight with no issues (speed-bleeders are great)

Issue of the week: After assembling 80% of the interior, including tranny tunnel and center console, I go to bleed the clutch and find that the slave cylinder is shot and spewing brake fluid all over the frame and a bit dripped down into the bellhousing as well...so will be installing a new one this weekend after rippping out the interior again and cleaning the inside of the bellhousing...grr.

As to the engine, it is running great. The timing is set and carbs are synced pretty good. With the pertronix ignition the engine fires up immediately (it never did that before!), idles great, and the new SU 1.75s are easy as hell to adjust. Engine is powerful and smooth up to redline with no misses or sputters, though I haven't had it under load yet.

anyhow, some pics:

new tires - Sumitomo HTR 200 175/60/13

trying out some red turn signals in place of the amber...I think I like the look

some FIAMM horns from a buddy's Miata that he wasn't using

up in the air

sbarc wrote:
This thread drives me nuts......I wish I had time to work on my car.  

I do envy you.  Thanks for the update.  

my wife is awaiting the day I finish it, as she thinks that at that time I will then help her clean the house and take care of the baby.... :-/

Really I just want to get it on the road before winter gets here. Then I can work on the "details" over the winter in my unheated garage....

note that almost all of my work is done either on Saturdays ("my" day to do "my" stuff) or after about 9pm on weeknights (when the wife and baby go to bed)...

I will also on occasion take afternoons off work so I can come home and work on the car without interruption by the wife (who works also) and without disturbing my neighbors when i'm doing "loud" stuff...

It's been over 12 years since I drove this car, so I'm a bit anxious and will admit to taking some shortcuts here and there. You, on the other hand, get to drive your car rather than work on it...which I envy!

irish44j wrote:

It's been over 12 years since I drove this car, so I'm a bit anxious and will admit to taking some shortcuts here and there. You, on the other hand, get to drive your car rather than work on it...which I envy!

My car still needs a new master brake cylinder etc before it can be inspected to complete the importation process and be legal in Canada (I imported it from the US)...so for now I can't insure it.  The importation inspection is very much like an MOT for our UK friends and is a one time only inspection, but I do know my car would fail in it's current state.
So I can't drive my GT6.....that leaves me stuck driving my 928GT.  
It would be fun to bomb about in the GT6.  

a few more things done last night and today, and a couple "botches"

the botches:
1. when installing the mirror, forgot to put it where the front vent window wouldn't hit it....so I have two holes to fill (relocated the mirror)

2. moving a hand truck full of boxes to my shed, I clipped the front of the GT6 and broke my driver's side front turn signal (it was already cracked). Dammit!

otherwise, did some body work touchups today, and  few other things:

Got all the headlights, taillights, and dash lights wired and working. Waiting for a new turn signal switch, but those lights are all wired up too.

also I am making an effort to replace as many of the original crappy bullet connectors as possible with flat connectors

did the insides of the wheel wells...stripped and undercoated and did a bit of detail work on the support attachments

finally finished my new rear deck made of MDF and a couple steel supports. Much stronger than the originals

engine shot as it sits today

car with the new tires and new mirrors

my posse

sbarc wrote:

Very nice.....but those front marker lights just won't do....   ;)
Come on....you know you want to....

I just checked out that link you posted. Price is great (about $30US for a pair of them) but shipping is the killer (about $45US for the pair of them!!).

Anyone in the UK want to buy them for me and ship them cheaper, or I'll pick em up when I'm in the UK in December? :)

irish44j wrote:

I just checked out that link you posted. Price is great (about $30US for a pair of them) but shipping is the killer (about $45US for the pair of them!!).

Anyone in the UK want to buy them for me and ship them cheaper, or I'll pick em up when I'm in the UK in December? :)

But if you install them you car won't be concours original.   ;)

rotoflex wrote:
You have not only painted the radiator overflow bottle, but the damn lid as well.
I point this out in case you are unaware of it.

as you can see, I am attempting to finish off about 20 cans of various colors of automotive spray paint that have somehow accumulated in my garage over the last 5 years or so....

something needs painting...I just grab whatever color is at hand (alot of reds, silvers, bronzes, and 20 varieties of black). Paint is expensive!! Not gonna waste "good" colors on a damn overflow bottle!!!

Had a bit of a setback today...bollocks..

Putting the windshield in...was going smoothly, using the string method and following the FSM to a tee....came to the upper passenger corner and string wouldn't come out, even with all my weight behind it, so I (per the FSM) used a rubber mallet to seat the seal all the way around. Got to the very last couple of taps (and I mean I was tapping it, not hitting it) and.....CRACK.

Guess it's a good thing I have a spare windscreen from my parts car. DOH! Unfortunately it does mean I have to order a new rubber seal....

• 4 weeks later...

besides a 40-mph run up my local street 1-3 gears and pulled very strong, did some work today on the car with the help of my buddy Brendon.

been a while since I posted up pics (sorry, camera has been acting up), so I'm sure I missed a bunch of other things

got rid of the old folding support for the bonnet and installed a pair of hydraulic supports. These came from the tailgate of an old Subaru DL wagon (credit: Paul Tegler for the idea)

it's nice because it will hold the hood open at any angle, makes it easy to raise and lower, and gets rid of the dreaded "twist" when lifting from one side.

installed new windshield glass and trim

Installed british-spec Spitfire parking/signal lights

goofing around a bit, we took some old tweed fabric and made new door panels. Had to do something other than black vinyl, which is what everything else in the car is!

the interior is almost done (well, not done, but at least functional!)

having a small car is nice...lots of spare room in the garage!

lookin good !!
i can't decide if i like that style turn signal or not....
i noticed the 2 piece lenses available through vicky-brit, might order them so i can see for myself...
i've toyed with the idea of those gas hood struts, but don't know if the right side strut will clear my webers

booley wrote:
lookin good !!
i can't decide if i like that style turn signal or not....
i noticed the 2 piece lenses available through vicky-brit, might order them so i can see for myself...
i've toyed with the idea of those gas hood struts, but don't know if the right side strut will clear my webers

actually the passenger-side one actually rubs the front of my K&N filter (front one), since they have the 2 sets of manifold spacers/adaptors that push the SUs outward.

That said, when I only had ONE gas strut on (driver's side) it held the hood up just fine, no problem. Just took more effort to open it (like). I might actually just go back to having on if I can't figure out a way to clear the filter better.

I think in your case, you'd be just fine with only one of them. You can get the strut part number on Paul tegler's site and they cost about $20/each from RockAuto.com. Let me know if you need a link. Highly suggested mod!