My GT6 restoration thread -updated 7/3/08

byakk0

making some more progress. Got the pertronix installed in the distributer, installed new plugs and wires and coil, a few bits to finish off the cooling system (routed without the heater for the moment). Also installed a new (used) crank pulley with Steve Downing's fan eliminator, cleaned up the old alternator (hope it works) with new serpentine belt, found a NOS oil filter element for the old filter setup until I get a spin-on adaptor.

overall, i'm 95% of the way to firing up the engine. Still need to install the old starter (will upgrade to a gear-reduction soon enough), set up the ignition circuit, and a temporary fuel source until the body and fuel tank are on.

Before startup (maybe later this month) will use an engine primer to prime the cylinders/seals/bearings.

Anyhow, a few more pics since I like pics!

my helpers are too busy watching TV, so I had to do all this myself!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned my Pertronix coil around so that it would more resemble the case of the plain aluminum standard coil.  That's how I roll, yo.

You've got a non-original fuel pump; it may be a good idea to sometime early check the fuel pressure to make sure that it's putting out the factory spec of 1.5 to 2.5 psi.  Some of the repro pumps have been found to be putting out more than 2.5, which drowns the carbs.

Judging by their expressions, it's easy to see who's commanding the remote.

Had a good weekend on the car.

Friday: The chassis and suspension are now complete!

Saturday: Had a couple buddies over and put the body back on!!!

Sunday; Rolled it back out to do some sanding and cleaning. I sometimes forget just how tiny the GT6 really is..

Installed some new brakes: Wilwood superlites + 12.6" 2-piece coleman rotors with a custom-made aluminum hat.

(heh...not really, those are on my maxima)

Cleaned up the dash front and upper engine "shelf" - the yellow is the car's original color

that is a work of art mate.

Off topic.. but isnt it great that in USA suburbs trees are left to grow. seems in the UK we are for ever chopping them dowm under council laws or homeowners bang on about a lack of light or subsidence..  

tiggrr1 wrote:

:-/ and possibly the dashpot on the front carb  :-/

You will need to either use Dollomite Sprint dashpots on those carbs or shorten the front carb, as tiggrr1 says clearance on the front carb is an issue. However not by very much, the thread on the inside of the dashpot runs down a fair bit meaning the dashpot can be shortened, but remember to shorten the piston rod and the damper tube by the same amount.
You dont need to shorten both carbs only the front one, this is the same arangement used on my own 2.5 Sixfire so I know this works.

Gt6s wrote:

You will need to either use Dollomite Sprint dashpots on those carbs or shorten the front carb, as tiggrr1 says clearance on the front carb is an issue. However not by very much, the thread on the inside of the dashpot runs down a fair bit meaning the dashpot can be shortened, but remember to shorten the piston rod and the damper tube by the same amount.
You dont need to shorten both carbs only the front one, this is the same arangement used on my own 2.5 Sixfire so I know this works.

do you have a photo of how you shortened it? Cutting at the top, or the bottom?

nige wrote:
that is a work of art mate.

Off topic.. but isnt it great that in USA suburbs trees are left to grow. seems in the UK we are for ever chopping them dowm under council laws or homeowners bang on about a lack of light or subsidence..  

yeah, this area (fairfax county, va) is pretty strict about NOT clear-cutting trees. My neighborhood is about 25 years old and has some big, big trees. Plus behind my house is bout 50 acres of woodland in a drainage/stream area, so it can never be cleared or built on.

the downside is in the autumn. I spend ALOT of time raking. And I mean ALOT.

Here's the back (except it has grass now, haha)

irish44j wrote:

do you have a photo of how you shortened it? Cutting at the top, or the bottom?

Sorry no photos of it, just did it. You shorten the top of the dashpot just leaving enough thread to screw in the damper cap, I did this job on my lathe but could be done with a hacksaw and a file if carefull. (Better to leave into a machine shop let them do it) unless you have your own lathe also.
The piston rod just push's into the cap, you can cut the rod with side cutters.
Damper tube can be cut with hacksaw and tidied up with a file.
No big deal really.

sbarc wrote:
I envy you......I'm mired in re-landscaping my backyard......I spent a bunch of money today on inground sprinkler system parts.  

I have a large forest in my backyard. I am no stranger to landscaping, and an EXPERT at raking millions of leaves and laying mulch!!!

I had to take a break from the GT6 and buy my wife a new car this weekend. it will eventually be used to tow the GT6 and trailer when I go to the track, perhaps...

the entire stable (GT6 behind in the garage)