mx5 seats which

iomgt6

Hi sorry if this has been asked before but could anyone advise which model of MX5 seats fit Mk3 GT6 have read that some say fitted no problem and others have had to modify them, I do not want to start modifying frames as I have no welding equipment the other consideration is I am 6ft 1in and height of pad is an issue as my head nearly touches the roof lining now want to change seats more as a safety reason (head restraints) Spitfire seats are hard to come by and as I live in the Isle of man I need to be sure I buy the right thing before traveling over the water, thanks for any help received, Paul.

I have looked into this a little and found that most if not all modern seats are too high in the seat base without modification.

I plan to buy some mk3 MX5 seats to build a pair of hybrid seats using my GT6 frames. That way you get the high back and low base. The mk3 seats also have a more retro shape and a seat belt guide built into them.

Another option I looked into was using seats from a Caterham, Morgan, Porsche 914 or Smart roadser/coupe.
The GT6 is tight on space to accommodate an unmodified seat. As like me you are over 6ft then you need a low seat base to still see through the windscreen.

There are threads on here about this subject in more detail.

I realise that GT6/Spitfire seats cost a fair amount to restore, but I do think they are the best option for the cars.

I am 5ft 8inches in height and can honestly say that in 35 years driving these cars, I have never found them uncomfortable

Do think about restoring your own seats, it costs, but it is very satisfying.

I've seen some folks go to extreme lengths to get their MX5 seats fitting just the way want, such as in the above mentioned video. In the end, is it really worth it? That's for you to decide.

I'm in the process of refurbing my lowback GT6 seats.
As I'm working on them I wonder is I should add a headrest, whether movable such as the spitfire, or just extend it and make it a highback. Additionally, if I ever choose to make any modifications, adding speakers wouldn't be too terribly difficcult. Shouldn't be difficult, just a little tubing and a welder. I've already got it down to the frame anyway.

Awe well, just my two cents. I may never modify mine beyond custom upholstery.

I fitted Mk2 MX5 seats to my road-going Spitfire, and as there are only two of us who drive the car (and we about the same height - 5'9") I removed the Mazda subframes completely and bolted the seat bases through the floor with square spreader plates underneath. They were then slightly too low, so the drivers seat is now supported by metal bobbins approx 1.5" high. They are firm, comfortable and supportive with adjustable backrest and headrests. I used the LH seat on the RH drivers side, and vica-versa

The one mistake I made was assuming the LH seat base mountings were identical (or at least a mirror image of the RH seat) It's not, and having made only one cardboard template for drilling the floor, I had to weld up a few spare holes!

The race car has a Kirkey unpadded aluminium seat on competition mountings, which is actually more comfortable than it sounds - but then most racetracks don't have too many potholes.

I have these fitted to my GT6 and they don't look out of place and are very comfortable with fore and aft adjustment and the back flips forward for rear access. No welding required. Do a google search and you will find all the info you need for fitting. GT6 might need a slightly different approach at the rear fixings but you'll see if you do a dry fit. These are on ebay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-seats/162858699906?hash=item25eb228c82:g:mRMAAOSwbIFaYNnh