Nick Jones

Yes the diaghragms... the navigators/passenger seat still has the diaghpragm but it's not long for this world, whereas my drivers seat at some point in its history has had lots of cross webbing fixed by some ingeniuos upholsterer and works really well.

I had my originals re-diaphramed at a local trimmer, he used a couple of new ones he had in stock from a jag (poss e-type).  Fitted really well, he just had to drill a couple of extra holes in the frame to attach the hooky bits (most pretty much lined up)

Richard_B wrote:

I still run original seats. I just wish we could source some diaphrams!

Register Service Notes 2nd edition have details on using Pirelli webbing instead.  It is also on the Register Forum somewhere I think.

Easy to do and gives excellent results.

Anyone who runs a big saloon should get the two sets of the Notes because they give excellent info - great to supplement info in a Workshop Manual  :).  The notes only cover Six Appeal articles up to 2001 (or thereabouts) but still well worth while.

Ted

More messing about today.

Abandoned the Rover seats as although they are easier to install, they just aren't the right shape for me in that car.

So I bit the bullet and dismantled the BMW seats.  This allowed me to narrow the runners but retain all the adjustment, including height.  The runners now bolt straight up to the original mounting points.  Drivers seat is now in to my satisfaction and seems quite comfy (though I've yet to drive the car).

Just got to repeat the procedure for the passenger side which should be a bit quicker now I know how.

Nick

Higher.  Even on the lowest setting.  Absolutely no chance to go lower without chopping the floor (not going there - it's mint).  However, even I miss the head lining (though not by much) so I'm calling it a win for now.  On the plus side, even the most vertically challenged driver will be able to find a position where they can see out!

The shape of the cabin and low seating position means that donor seats from sports cars (XJS, MX5 and the like) are likely to go in easier and be better shaped.  Problem with the Rover seats is that they have a very flat base and would need to be installed with the front of the runners much higher (25 - 40mm) in order to give any thigh support.  That said, I've got a nice pair of half leather seats and adaptor brackets if anyone wants to have a go.  Having shorter legs than me would help alot - and many people have shorter legs than me!

In fact, although I'd put discomfort while driving this car down to the rather tired seat, I begin to wonder if it's the basic layout of the thing.  The pedals are just too close.  If I place the seat to get my legs how I want them I can hardly reach the wheel (and my arms are quite long too!), plus I'm occupying all the rearseat leg-room, something unlikely to be well received by the ever-growing kids!

Anyway, present arrangement seems like an improvement, so fingers crossed.

Nick

I nearly bought a set of these seats (I think they're the same ones) a few years back. Took 'em round to the licensed modifiers who happened to build Triumph rally cars too. He reckoned they looked like too much grief, so I went with MX5 seats again. Not as fancy, but still a massive improvement on the old FUBAR'ed originals and gives a lot more space inside too.

Hey Greeks is back!  Good to see you  :)

Yeah - your man was right - 'tis a fair bit of aggro to get them in nicely!  One of these days I'll find a set of MX5 seats that can be mine without hocking a kidney first.

Is BOB pimento red?  Looks pretty similar colour to mine......

Nick

'Tis done.

Certain amount of aggro but fairly happy with the end result.  No mods to the car itself whatever so original pattern seats can go straight back in.

Seat belts need sorting - have some Securon aftermarkets fitted and the stalks are way too long making then partially ineffective at best.

They look quite good I think, and have a massive range of adjustment.  The apprentice (11) now reckons he can drive it as he can fully work the pedals and gearlever as well as see the end of the bonnet........

At the other end, 6'3" me can get in, miss the headlining, and actually move the seat back to the point where my arms become to short

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
'Tis done.

The apprentice (11) now reckons he can drive it as he can fully work the pedals and gearlever as well as see the end of the bonnet........

Nick

Seems reasonable to me Nick, that was the age I was when I first drove a 1200 herald in 1980.

Colin.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Hey Greeks is back!  Good to see you  :)

Yeah - your man was right - 'tis a fair bit of aggro to get them in nicely!  One of these days I'll find a set of MX5 seats that can be mine without hocking a kidney first.

Is BOB pimento red?  Looks pretty similar colour to mine......

Nick

Hi Nick... nice to be back  :)

Toyota fireball red actually (orangey :B) They shipped the bodies over and painted 'em here.

Archived