Nick Jones

May have been me you were talking to James, I did have 3 series soft top seats in the stag and 3 of the 4 holes lined up, I only had to drill an extra hole in 1 runner to fit them in, the problem with them In the stag was the built in seat belts hit the t bar so wouldn't go very far back, not a problem for me even after many hours on the hcr but I think Radders would have liked a bit more leg room on the way to stoneleigh. Anyway I've swapped them for a set of 3 series coupe seats that don't hit the t bar but the runners needed a plate under 1 side to increase the width and pick up on the standard stag mounting points. I thought the stag floor would be similar to the saloon but the stag has raised lumps in it that place the seat at the right height, I think on the saloon you'll have to do something to raise the seat mounting, MikeyB did something with angle iron I think when he put tomcat seats in his saloon, probably worth looking to see if there's any pictures in his blog.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Got 'em.  Black leather in nice condition.

E36 coupe ones I'm told.  They are big.  And very heavy. Runners are wide (450mm centres compared to standard 380mm) and offset outwards.  They will go in, just as the runners just (and I mean just) go between the tunnel and the sill.  I can get one hole to line up (inside rear), elsewhere adaptor plates will be needed.  Biggest problem looks to be height as even on their lowest setting they are a bit high for me, though I'm not exactly short......

Above comments apply to passenger side only as I need to move the car outside to try the drivers side and it was a tad damp out.

Still pondering.  Not convinced they are a great starting point.

Nick

Allan Walker (Register Webmaster) did a description of fitting Jag seats into a Triumph on the Register Forum under the subject 'Jag seat installation' posted May 17, 2010.  This was in the 'Projects' section under 'General Discussion".

Ted

I`ve just put rover 600 seats into my mk2 pi found it easier to modify the seats to fit the original runners than change the floor fittings it also means its straight forward to revert back to original seats, The biggest thing is getting the seats lower enough.
Got a set of black leather seats out of an orion to fit to the mk1 pi when i get round to it.

cheers andy

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1217362469/s-26/highlight-tomcat/#num26

Did you find my old posts?  A few pics that show the adaptor frames I made up. Well comfy but sat a bit high because I kept all the Rover sliders and height adjusting mech.

If I was to do it again, I'd remove all that and mount straight to the Triumph runners.

I've got a set of XJ40 electric leather that I eventually plan to fit - these seem to sit a lot lower - ie. just right with the jag runners left in situ.

We have 620ti Rover seats in the estate at the moment, I had to bin the original sliders and height adjustment as the seat was way too high for me. Made up som adapters wit 50mm angle remembering to mount the seats higher at the front and mounted on some spare runners. As Andy says it saves modding the car and we can swap between the two with the removal of 8 bolts per car.

See the blog for a pic of them in the pi.

Allen Walker used XJS seats which are a lot narrower than XJ6 ones, Doug Thompson has XJS ones in his mk1 as well.

Colin.

CRAJ wrote:
We have 620ti Rover seats in the estate at the moment, I had to bin the original sliders and height adjustment as the seat was way too high for me. Made up som adapters wit 50mm angle remembering to mount the seats higher at the front and mounted on some spare runners. As Andy says it saves modding the car and we can swap between the two with the removal of 8 bolts per car.

See the blog for a pic of them in the pi.

Allen Walker used XJS seats which are a lot narrower than XJ6 ones, Doug Thompson has XJS ones in his mk1 as well.

Colin.

That sound like how i fitted them to mine, Need to make slight adjustment to the passengers when i get time as sitting to far towards the door at moment,
Its a lot easier using the original runners.

cheers andy

Thanks all.

Ted, thanks for the  suggestion - found and read that thread.

Mike, hadn't seen your thread before.  Also interesting as there is a nice pair of 216 GTI seats very local going cheap....  They are mostly black so aethestically fine.  Also quite local are a nice pair of Rover 800 Recaros.....  have a feeling I may end up with multiple seats.....  :-/

I could get these BMW seats in - just concerned that it's not worth the fairly considerable hassle because they will always be too high.

Cheers

Nick

Hi I've fitted a pair of red leather Alfa GTV seats in my MK1. In my first trail fitting of the seats I welded the original Triumph runners to the bottom but they sat too high. So I refitted them by modifying the  Alfa runners. I think they are really comfy especially on long journeys, however my misses doesn’t  like as much because her bum’s too wide   ;D

I'm thinking of trying Volvo 850 seats. The width seems ok and they really are the most comfortable seats ever.. The ones in my T5 are even the right colour but I think the missus would be a bit upset if I removed them ;D
Just have to find a good donor which isn't easy as they are NOT thick on the ground here.

Got some Rover 216 Gti half-leather jobs now.  They don't exactly leap into place either  :-/.  Making some fair progress on getting them in now though.  The BMW ones are nicer though - and I think I might have figured out a reasonably easy way move the outside runner (which is considerably offset outwards for some reason) and get it to sit symetrically with the inboard one, giving the same track width as the Triumph ones.  Doesn't address the original height issue except that they would at least side in the original channels gaining about 6mm (wow!).  Might be ok for someone a bit less unreasonably tall  :P

'Tis when you mess about like this that you realise that the T2000 range has a rather odd shaped cabin - shallow and narrow, but long.  The shallow especially shows up by making both pairs of seats (both from quite small cars) look really high backed.

Nick

Drivers seat is already somewhat knackered and lacks support in the lower back.  Both front seats show signs of rapidly becoming more knackered if the deposits of powered foam that keep building up on the floor beneath them (after minimal use) is anything to go by!  Interior is already later, non-original cloth seats.

Nick

I'm glad someone has asked this question. I still run the original vinyl seats in our 65 2000 MK1 and they give great support for competitive motor sport events and as an everyday long distance driver.

They've taken some hammering over the last 46 years and still look good... I did try some BMW Mini all leather recliners for all of a week. They were crap in comparison.

570 wrote:
I'm glad someone has asked this question. I still run the original vinyl seats in our 65 2000 MK1 and they give great support for competitive motor sport events and as an everyday long distance driver.

I still run original seats. I just wish we could source some diaphrams!

Archived