Marc F

I am looking to recover/refurb my low back Mk3 seats, preferably in leather, and only seem to find two suppliers - Newtons for the foams, and Gabbat & Brown for leather covers plus "refurb" kit.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions, or experiences of the available replacement covers etc please. Looking at Rimmers, it looks like I could soend £25 just buying 50 edge clips, etc.

Many thanks

8559 wrote:
I am looking to recover/refurb my low back Mk3 seats, preferably in leather, and only seem to find two suppliers - Newtons for the foams, and Gabbat & Brown for leather covers plus "refurb" kit.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions, or experiences of the available replacement covers etc please. Looking at Rimmers, it looks like I could soend £25 just buying 50 edge clips, etc.

Many thanks

I believe Park Lane Classics are well thought of and certainly, the foams I bought from them for my GT6 MK3 seats were beautifully made, fitted perfectly and were supported with excellent instructions.

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/

does he do spit mk3 stuff. I know he was prototyping door cards a few years back as I had some boards to reback my originals but not sure about seats. But Owen is very helpful and knowledgeable just not sure how many pre mk4 cars he has done.

If no one sells the covers you want, you could do what I did - buy the foams and then have the covers made by an upholsterer. I found a guy who works from a shed in his back garden. He used the original covers as a pattern for the new covers. The advantage to doing it that way was that I could choose the leather and piping, and he was able to add a thin layer of foam to the covers to give them more shape. I think that the end result is better than most off-the-shelf covers could manage.

Thanks for the replies guys. Park Lane, sadly, do not do Mk3, so I may well end up going the local upholsterer route.

Unfortunately, on uncovering the back of the driver's seat, I have found a very bent and broken shell, so first thing will be to get that patched up and straightened. Even the "x-pressing" ribs are buckled and torn. No idfea what the owner did to them - the passenger's is fine. Looking on eBay I see they occassionally surface so I shall keep my eyes open as well.

Thanks

There is a guy on ebay Classicbritishsportscartrims who does the covers. I think he also advertises in the Courier (TSSC). I have never used him but have read some good reports for Herald seats. Might be worth a call.

Let us knoe as my mk2 seats are now getting a bit tired (original)

I am making my own seat covers from 0.6mm goat skin Nappa leather ox blood in colour I am also doing all the interior trim in the same leather too. I bought a very old hand cranked Jones semi industrial sewing machine some leather sewing needles for it and some Guttamann leather sewing thread for sewing machines.

I am going for this style of trim finish  :)