Fitting carpets to my GT6

John Bonnett

We're a funny old lot or is it just me? How we do jobs we've put off for ages just before selling so that the new owner has all the benefit. It goes with houses as well as cars I believe.

I am now into my third day fitting a set of moulded carpets in the GT6 and I'm not finished yet. I'm sure Chris S would say that that's a pretty pathetic work rate. But I haven't been slacking Chris, honestly  :)

I'm grateful to my friend Lindsay who passed on a very useful tip on punching holes through the carpet using a piece of tube with a sharpened end. It works really well. Apart from punching holes for the seat mounts all that's left are the wheel arches. 'Bout the middle of next week then  :) :)

Looks nice and neat John

Where did you get carpet from.... Newton Comm...?? or other..?? Also, is there some guidance anywhere which bits get glued etc... maybe it comes with the carpet when buy it...?
I am few months off before do interior, as i want to run it for a bit and make sure everything is right - dont want to fit it and then take half of it out...

Cheers
S

8735 wrote:
Looks nice and neat John

Where did you get carpet from.... Newton Comm...?? or other..?? Also, is there some guidance anywhere which bits get glued etc... maybe it comes with the carpet when buy it...?
I am few months off before do interior, as i want to run it for a bit and make sure everything is right - dont want to fit it and then take half of it out...

Cheers
S

I bought the carpet set from James Paddock Steve but it is made by Newton Commercial who had no stock at the time. Fitting instructions come with the kit but no mention of the aches and pains that come with the job  ;)

Initially I decided not to fit the carpet until I was sure the car was leak free and then I got used to the original tatty carpet and it is only now when the car is being sold that I've been pressured into doing the job. It would have been so much easier to have put it in during the build up of the body.

Good Job John, I'll be letting the trimmer do mine if I decide to keep it. Its gonna be a custom job so can't buy off the shelf. I only ever had front carpet in my spitfire before the transformation and it was the cheapest nastiest carpet ever made. Obviously it came with the boxes of bits that came originally but those molded ones really look good and should be a sale price lifter. How much are you selling it for???? Add a couple of hundred for great presentation mate.

Chris.

2402 wrote:
Good Job John, I'll be letting the trimmer do mine if I decide to keep it. Its gonna be a custom job so can't buy off the shelf. I only ever had front carpet in my spitfire before the transformation and it was the cheapest nastiest carpet ever made. Obviously it came with the boxes of bits that came originally but those molded ones really look good and should be a sale price lifter. How much are you selling it for???? Add a couple of hundred for great presentation mate.

Chris.

Thank you very much Chris and for not rubbishing my workrate!

I really didn't know how much to ask for the car. There seems to be such a wide variation in prices for seemingly similar cars. I've put mine up for offers in excess of £7,500. I have no idea whether this is on the money or not. I've had a few enquiries including two from Switzerland. If it doesn't sell this time round I think I might cosmetically improve it and put it on for substantially more. Bodily and mechanically it is pretty good just needs door cards and wheels tarting up. We'll see how things turn out.

John I think you are on the right tracks. I had two French guys eager to buy my T6 pre rebuild for your asking price & one still emails asking to have 1st refusal if I sell once finished & back on the road & he'll pay whatever my costs were over asking price.

Tempting as that is I think I need to enjoy it for another wee while.

Quite sure you'll get your price.

PS: Also got moulded carpet set for T6, with it not being a standard car every piece of carpet needs altered & steamed to fit plus I'm missing N/S rear wheel arch moulded carpet but think another extra piece can be made to fit.

Willie.

5861 wrote:
John I think you are on the right tracks. I had two French guys eager to buy my T6 pre rebuild for your asking price & one still emails asking to have 1st refusal if I sell once finished & back on the road & he'll pay whatever my costs were over asking price.

Tempting as that is I think I need to enjoy it for another wee while.

Quite sure you'll get your price.

PS: Also got moulded carpet set for T6, with it not being a standard car every piece of carpet needs altered & steamed to fit plus I'm missing N/S rear wheel arch moulded carpet but think another extra piece can be made to fit.

Willie.

You've got a really nice car there Willie. I don't know how many T6s there are altogether but probably none with the K series engine which makes your car pretty special and one that can be used in all weathers without fear of corrosion. I can imagine you and Chris with another very unique car out together in the cars turning peoples heads where ever you go.

It's a shame about the missing piece of carpet. I wonder if Newton would supply you with just the one piece? Perhaps it's worth asking the question.

John

7801 wrote:
Looks great John! Saw your car was up for sale, seems a bargain to me for such a great car. Good luck with the sale!

Project looks great too , hope you're well.

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms over the project John. I haven't touched it for more than a week now but I'm pleased that I have eventually bitten the bullet and made a start with the carpets. The worst is over with just the wheel arches and the boot to finish. The carpet set itself is a superb fit and has made a huge difference to the look of the inside of the car.

I have a niggling feeling that I have set the price too low and that perhaps I should withdraw it for the time being, and put it back later in the Summer for a bit more; well a lot more actually. I have three active enquiries so we'll see how they pan out first.

John