Carpets and underfelt

G8HSV

• 2 months later...

I am a carpet fitter by trade (although not often in cars). I reckon carpet with a built in soundproofing is whats known as 'feltbacked' carpet. It was developed after the old foambacked carpets were banned for being very unhealthy (especially after a few years and the foam dried out and went to powder. I am currently ripping out my original 1969 Herald carpets and I have some good feltback to put in. I am planning to place velcro strips on the floor to hold the carpet in place. This will enable me to lift the carpets whenever required. I will let you know how I get on.

1863 wrote:
My 1200 Herald had new carpets fitted before I bought it.

The carpets are black and feature inbuilt sound deadening material.  

Anyone any idea who sells these?  Most sets seem to have seperate underfelt....

S

I expect they are Newton Commercial ones. Not cheap, but fit very well (unlike most)

5820 wrote:
I'm going to add a sheet of polystyerene between the floor and carpet/sound deadening to stop them soaking up water that sits in the foot wells ;)

Wouldnt it be better to just put some nice goldfish in there?

My worry would be that the water will still go somewhere if it cant get to the floor.

In our Coaches the carpet is held in by buttons, similar to the type that hold the hood cover on the rear deck. Seeing as the guy who trims our coaches is also going to fit my Herald's carpet, I was going to have them held in with this system.

How much water seepage are we talking about though? As long as it isn't gushing in during a light shower, it should be fine shouldn't it?

5820 wrote:
I'm going to add a sheet of polystyerene between the floor and carpet/sound deadening to stop them soaking up water that sits in the foot wells ;)

I wouldn't put polystyrene down. It breaks up under pressure and when wet it removes paint over time. I had boat hulls sitting on Polystyrene blocks and it ruined the paint. It can also cause problems to electrical cable insulation and gives off nasty gases when warm.
I work with polystyrene.
There are plenty of better non water absorbent products out there admittedly they do cost.

Adrian