Repairable steering coupling?

Hairy Bobis

I was hoping to replace the rubber washers on the steering coupling on my 13/60 Herald, the existing washers are perished.
However after close inspection it looks like the bolts joining the upper joint to the lower joint are 'splayed' at the ends, being a critical part I am assuming this is so they cannot loosen and fall out in use.

I was expecting the bolts to be retained with locking wire however I do not think this is an original part as the nut and bolt holding the clamp to the column was a metric size (13mm).

Is this repairable using these bolts?  I am doubting this.

Or can I use replacement bolts which allow the use of locking wire, if so can anyone recommend a supplier?

Or have I wasted my money on a superflex kit and should get a universal joint that are sold by the usual Triumph suppliers?

Many thanks,

Sav

If you carefully grind off the splayed ends and drill into the bolt a little, you should be able to remove them. If that fails, grind off the heads, pull the thing apart and cut a slot across the remnants of bolts to screw them further in and through. Both methods destroy the bolts but they're not reusable anyway. Then find some slightly over-long bolts of the right thread and cross-drill them for wire locking.

If you wreck it in the process you can always do as Mr Spam did

Don't like these at all.

Have had various in the past.  The original wire-locked ones are re-buildable and I have done so in the past both with suitably sized O-rings and proper poly-bush kits.  They never seem to last long.  Possibly because I have a Vitesse with a Herald rack and steering effort is high.

For the last 10 years or so I've been using a proper UJ sourced from Bill @ Rarebits and it's been faultless.

Chris rebuilt a wire-locked joint for his Spit using a proper poly-bush kit.  That lasted less than 1000 miles before play became excessive again.  That's now been replaced with a UJ similar to mine though I don't remember where he got it from.  Must investigate what went wrong with the original as it really should have done better than it did.

Nick

Many thanks for your replies.

Looks like I have wasted £15+ on a poly bush kit then!

It seems the best long term option is to go down the UJ route.

Which is the best UJ to fit? It's only a road car so nothing fancy is needed but I would like a quality part.

Are they a straight swap or do they need 'fetling' to fit?

Apologies for so many questions.

Thanks

Sav