Carpet cleaning!

Steady Rolling

I don't wanna overwhelm you all with too much technical detail, but wondered if anyone knows if it's OK to put the carpets from a Mk 4 Spit into a washing machine? I don't have easy access to a carpet cleaning machine so this would be the easiest and cheapest option, but would they be at risk of shrinking at 40 degrees, which is the coolest it seems my washer will go?

As background, I took them out to check the floor condition so they're ready to go back in, but it seems logical to clean them first. The car has only done 60,000ish, but then it IS old...

Do you folks have those U-Wash-Em type car washes over there, in which there are bays into which you drive your car, & in the bay is a high-pressure wash wand?

Those things clean floor mats really well:  You hang them vertically on wall holders in the bay, then soap & rinse them with the pressure washer
It seems like it would do well for removed carpets also.

• 1 year later...

Just realised I never replied to this - in the end I took them up to me Mam's, who showed me how to clean them with 1001 or whatever it's called. She got a bit carried away and left me with just a tiny bit to do, and they came up pretty well, so a good result all round really. They're a bit worn in places though, but at least they're clean. So that was last summer, and since I got the motivation back this Easter (ie since the weather improved) I got round to putting them back in. Only two press-studs in each bit, but still a PITA to fit...