starter motor making a noise

daver clasper

Hi

This is standard Lucas starter on Vitesse.

It has started to sometimes make a grating noise for a second or so when turned on then disengages. Doesn't feel like it's turning engine.

Then it will be ok on second attempt

It can do this on a cold or hot start.

It's a different thing from when it sometimes tries to start from cold for a second then disengages.

Starter is not loose and starter pinion and flywheel ring gear looked very good about 5000 miles ago. Starter pinion was also clean and free moving on shaft at this time.

Any ideas please.

Thanks, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Matt306
On a slightly different problem my starter tends to disengage a bit soon... any thoughts?

What do you call "a bit soon"? The Bendix gear disengages because it gets kicked out by the flywheel. This happens when the crank turns faster than the starter motor, as a result of a cylinder firing.

If you're suffering the problem my Toledo used to have (and the PI would have had in terminal degree if it were a Bendix starter) then you get a "toyoyoy-splutter-wheeee" as the engine fires once but doesn't start. The problem here is not the starter motor but the weak engine starting. Try to sort that out.

Quoted from RobPearce

What do you call "a bit soon"? The Bendix gear disengages because it gets kicked out by the flywheel. This happens when the crank turns faster than the starter motor, as a result of a cylinder firing.

If you're suffering the problem my Toledo used to have (and the PI would have had in terminal degree if it were a Bendix starter) then you get a "toyoyoy-splutter-wheeee" as the engine fires once but doesn't start. The problem here is not the starter motor but the weak engine starting. Try to sort that out.

Not thought of mine as a weak starter, usually fire quite well, got electronic ignition, three core plugs, gold lucas coil, new leads (well 2 and a half thousand miles ago.)

But your descriptor is fantastic though

Ironically, a really good strong spark can lead to the "weak starting" problem. If the spark fires the first cylinder over compression (or the second) then it's likely to have less than a full air charge, because it started half way up the compression stroke (or down the intake stroke with very poor fuel mixing).

Does the problem happen when cold, hot, always? You may find a bit of fiddling with choke settings might help. I've had more than one Triumph that needed careful adjustment - the GT6 wants absolutely full choke for a cold start but immediately needs it half way in to keep running.

Quoted from RobPearce
Ironically, a really good strong spark can lead to the "weak starting" problem. If the spark fires the first cylinder over compression (or the second) then it's likely to have less than a full air charge, because it started half way up the compression stroke (or down the intake stroke with very poor fuel mixing).

Does the problem happen when cold, hot, always? You may find a bit of fiddling with choke settings might help. I've had more than one Triumph that needed careful adjustment - the GT6 wants absolutely full choke for a cold start but immediately needs it half way in to keep running.

You could be correct, hot and cold although mostly hot thinking about it. Perhaps I upgraded the ignition too much, with triple core plugs, new leads, gold coil and electronic ignition and dizzy rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...

The Starter motor failed tonight leading to a tow truck to get me home. I have opened her up and found the bushes burnt. These aren't old bushes and not long fitted. They were a tightish fit and i suspect the old springs aren't working like they should pushing the bushes up to make contact making an arc and burning the contacts. I have cleaned it all off and its fine again cranking at good speed.

Anyone know where to get the springs?

Oh my starter doesnt look like the herald one on Canleys , looks more like the dynamo.