1300FWD starter motor

ranzaboy

Hello everybody. I'm new to the club and new to having a "vintage" car. I have a 1300 FWD 1968 which I bought in England and limped back to France with.(just over a week ago) I had to be pushed off the boat at this end but did manage to get home. Since then I've been able to start only by tapping with a hammer. I believe I need a new starter motor but having consulted all the parts suppliers this does not seem an easy option. Does anybody have any advice for which I would be very grateful!

Richard_B wrote:
Now I have a Hi-Torque starter that turns the wrong way. from a Rover 216 as Honda engines go the wrong way..

Could be an interesting conversion...   :-/

Check the amount and spacing of the teeth and the length of the throw, I remember someone mentioning that the Honda SM wouldn't work.

Thanks very much everybody. We took the starter motor out, cleaned the piston and shims etc etc and then discovered, after putting everything back, the magic button on the solenoid. he starts beautifully when that is pressed so that would suggest the solenoid is the problem???

Presumably this has the inertia type starter with separate solenoid?

If you have to tap the starter motor itself with a hammer to get it to go, usually this is because the brushes are very worn and/or are sticking in their guides.  New brushes and a general clean up will sort this.

If you have to tap the solenoid or press the button on it to get anything to happen than this suggests either there is a problem with it or the wiring to it.  Try a temporary wire from battery positive to the solenoid coil connection to test.

Nick