Hi torque starter motor

Contente

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with the hi torque starters? My engine has some problems to start after a day of stoppage. Even if not all the problem is due to the starter motor, I think if these hi torque starters are good and reliable, why not to install one, specially because it will make my engine start every time needed at first key turn.

Cheers,
Frederico

My car starts first turn every time with the Lucas starter. I guess starting performance might improve with a high torque one but they still don't really compensate for ignition or fuelling problems. My Dad's TR6 has a high torque starter and if something's up with the ignition it will still struggle to start.

I had problems with my MK2 Gt6 not spinning over fast enough, especially after left standing for a while. The lead from the solenoid to the starter can appear to be in good condition on close inspection, but as I had replaced the battery and starter and still wasn't happy cut back the plastic insulation from the starter end of the lead and was surprised to see the copper was corroded. Moister had got under the insulation and was festering away. I also noticed when going through a load of spare leads that there are two thickness of this lead. My car was fitted with the thinner variety probably meant for a Spitfire. I found one from a GT6 that was half again as thick, problem solved.

Mark  

• 2 months later...

hi there guys
At great expense I had a high torque starter fitted by my local garage recently. After it went in it was ok bar a few rattles whilst from what I was told, the ring gear "mated up" to the new starter gear. It always started fist time straight away and was happy with it for a couple of weeks.

Then it started to play up. When you turn the key, just a click and nothing. I charged battery (which is quite new, 2012) and then still no joy. After several attempts it started on the 6th turn. I thought it was the solenoid, so replaced that with a brand new one and double earthed it to the body just to be sure....still only started on about the 5th turn.

I am not sure what to do now, as I still have not paid for the work, I am reluctant to pay for the starter to come out again only to find there is nothing wrong with it??

Is ther anything that could go wrong with them, are there any connections that could come loose or get waterlogged, it has been pretty wet here and the Vitesse had also hit some flooded roads recently although she seemed fine after that even though she conked out at the time, she started just the same as she did before, until now which is a couple of weeks later...

any advice very much appreciated, I hope it may be something simple which I can check myself!
:'(
hah
cheers

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that but brand new...
I later found that it totally went dead and had to have the starter out again.
It was cleaned out and also the wiring was changed so that one connection on the old solenoid was used for both battery feed in and feed to starter. the spade terminal on the starter was also wired directly to the brown and yellow wire that used to go on the bottom of the old soleniod.

Ran superbly like that until recently where it has twice just clicked and not turned...

I am wondering if it is the ring gear like someone said?? the guy who originally put it in said it was poor, although he said the pre engaged starters pull in from the other (unworn) side of the ring gear so wouldnt affect it??

Or I am thinking I may have ruined the solenoid on the new starter when I hit the flood waters?

cheers Stu

my experience of the high torque starter is that it seems draw a lot less current than the orginal starter, I went through a few of the original starters and batteries before I bit the bullet and bought one, I never had a problem after that, and it deffinitely improved the starting performance. I would argue its essential on a six cylinder engine, (mine is also high compression)

My PI has the original style starter motor which is much larger than the GT6 spitire type, to date this has never let me down.

Its a fairly simple job to remove the starter motor, and inspect it, you may well find the new starter has failed, this is common with new parts.

GTRoger wrote:
Can someone provide me the original Nippon Denso startermotor partnumber please. As I'm in the startermotor business it should be able to source one from our suppliers.

Sorry not at present.

This one will fit with an adapter plate and some machining to the front plate
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTER-MOTOR-TOYOTA-COROLLA-E10-E9-CARINA-T17-LRS723-/200877512501?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5129849954590191286%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200778211336%26

This one will fit with less work but I've always used the Toyota one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310331648088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649