Electric cooling fan

Stuart Wilson

If you have the time you can be careful and pick certain parts up cheaply enough. A Kenlowe kit for my 2000 would have cost upwards of £200, and that would be ziptied through the radiator, which I didn't want. I bought the thermostatic switch, and fan on ebay for a few quid, made an aluminium mount, and bought the relays, wires and terminals etc from an online automotive electronics company for less than £60 all in.

have a look round your local breakers yards ive used a mercedes 12v electric fan with a Revotec 3/8 bsp electronic fan controller youl need to braze a 3/8 bsp female adaptor into your radiator to screw the fan controller into, the Revotec controller kit part no EFC 3/8 ext comes with instructions, relay,and cable. have a look at  the Revotec web site 🙂

hi Stuart, I dont know your cars exact set up but I would recommend fitting the biggest fan you can find. The problem with using a modern item rather than after market is identifying the power rating in watts and this is very important as its directly related to airflow. If you cant find it an alternative would be to connect the fan to a battery and measure the current it draws. I reckon you want one around 240w which will take 20amps so make sure your meter can handle that and of course the relay and wiring when you install it......

My Revotec fan controller/thermostatic switch crumbled to bits. Not cheap to replace but Revotec gave me trade discount on a replacement. Probably my fault as never kept up to date with anti-freeze - water ratio. I've removed it now and gone back to original after engine rebuild. All good now, well it was on the last 10CR.