Davies Craig Electric Fan

SteveJP

I have just obtained a Davies Craig electric fan for my Spitfire 1500 (part of my ongoing 10Cr preperations) I am concerned about the recommended fitment for the fan which requires the slotting of 4 bolts through the radiator matrix  - see link for detail http://www.oldholden.com/possible/index.php/Cooling_System_Upgrade#Fan_Mounting

Has anyone done this or similar - I am tempted instead to make up 4 angle brackets to mount the fan on instead.

Steve,
Kenlowe give you the same (similar?) plastic ties to pass through the radiator matrix.
What Kenlowe tell you, that Davies Craig (No relation) don't, is to flatten the fins under the wide plastic washers.  If you don't the weight of the fan will do it for you, the ties will loosen, the fan will sag.........etc, etc until you loose either fan or water as a hole is worn in a rad tube.

Oh, and if it does, the answer is Araldite! Drop some onto the carefully dried hole and let it go off.  I raced with such a rad for years, and no probs!

John

Thanks for all your replies, I think I'll be fashioning some brackets from steel and mounting the fan on those, I'm not happy with the through the radiator type of fixing.

The fan is being fitted as a precaution, not because the car has an overheating problem, with luck it won't be needed, even during the recent warm weather, the temp gauge never strayed past the halfway mark, I am just erring on the side of caution.

Its an interesting debate that GT6John has also started today, and the responses there show I could have achieved this a bit more cheaply!

Archived