After-market electric fuel pumps

32valves

I've been using an electric fuel pump on the Sprint for a few years now (replacing the standard mechanical pump). It's made by FAI and supplies fuel at 2 - 3 psi, 90 litres per hour. Since changing over to 2" SU's, occasionally under really hard use the car has spluttered a bit leading me to suspect that the pump isn't supplying fuel fast enough. If I assumed my car gets down to about 5 mpg running flat out in top gear, ~120mph, that equates to about 24 gallons per hour which is higher than the pump output (90l/hr = ~19.8gal/hr). The fuel consumption is likely to be similar or higher in the intermediate gears too so it looks like I need a new pump. Does this sound right ?

Anyway, I've been looking at other after-market pumps, particularly Facet. There seems to be two types, the 'cube' type and the 'cylindrical' type. Apart from price what are the relative merits of these ?

Carl. Does it happen on a straight road or is it when coming out of a bend.  I've had all sorts of problems with what I thought to be fuel starvation issues.  Turned out to be mostly flooding problems.  If it is on the straight after a long period of full thottle then fuel starvation is likely.  The first thing to do is change the needle valve for the hi flow completion type. ( the hole is a lot bigger and therefore can flow more fuel.). If the problem happens after the car has been cornering hard then you may need to change the position of the floats. This is done by moving  the float lid round.   My car would always have problems on fast hairpin bends or when doing autosolos.  I after much messing around traced it to the above float problem.  Repositioned the float lids and I've never had a problem sinse.  

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Paul, it's definitely when accelerating hard but doesn't do it all the time which is why I'm guessing the pump is marginal. I'm assuming you're talking about the float valves. Where can I get the type you mention ? Interesting point about cornering. It might be worth re-positioning the float as you suggest anyway. Let me know what orientation works best and I'll give it a go.

Hmm, red top looks interesting but info says not compatible with alcohol fuels. I wonder if this includes the E10 that will be inflicted on us. The Holley billet electric fuel pump is apparently compatible with such fuels but would be way overkill for my car (and would need a pressure regulator). Food for thought although ~£230 is a bit more than I was planning to spend  ;D

Carl, the needle valves are from burlen fuels  they are either 0.096" or 0.125" bore> the standard ones for hs6 etc are 0.070"  as for the float lid positions i turned the front one so the inlet pipe is pointing to the left hand side. ( this is no problem as the mounting holes line up, just need a bit of longer fuel hose) the rear carb is a bit more tricky as the fuel inlet pipe needs to point to the air box. the mounting holes don't line up so i used some washers under the screws to hold it down. Before i changed these round i was having so much trouble when doing track days or autosolos. i thought it was fuel surging so fitted a swirl pot etc all to no avail.  it was out of  sear desperation that i started messing with  float chamber lids.  after much testing one Sunday on an industrial estate with plenty of islands i came up with this solution.  

Cheers Paul, I've ordered some of the large bore valves and I'll have a look at moving the floats around this weekend. Since the current pump is supplying at more or less the right pressure the change to the larger bore valves may well cure the apparent fuel supply issue. I think a good 2000 mile road test is in order  ;)