Electric Fan Placement

James

Decided to install an electric fan today - its a super slim sucky type but the fan extension boss still gets in the way of placing it anywhere (so does the water pump nut - but thats not in such a bad place)

So where to place it? Right where the water is hot at the inlet? Or where the water is cooler at the outlet?

Out of interest with the fan extension - does my Mk1 engine have a separate one? And is it held in place by a keyway or anything - making sure it cannot rotate? On my car the bolt holes are exactly TDC - each one being 90 degrees increments (that's for my Megajolt project - I could get the holes drilled in the trigger wheel to just bolt on the front where the fan was)

James

Cheers Steve.

Should point out that this is on my saloon - not that it makes much difference.

Wondering if my fan is a little small now. I figure that it never gets close to overheating and the new fan should be more efficient than the old one (being a more modern design and it's right up against the core)

(that diagram is to scale btw...)

Out of curiosity on this subject, have any of you lot installed uprated alternators to cope with the extra power use of the electric fans?  I have a Pacet 14 inch ready to go into my Stag but am unsure whether the alternator will cope.  I already have an ignition light that comes on at low idle revs.....

Shouldn't be a problem normally but that light is a worry.  If it is still there after checking all of the normal suspects you will probably end up replacing the alternator if you do get an A125.  They are the same size as the the ACR but available in higher outputs.

Incidentally I have just replaced a 14inch Kenlowe with a 10inch no name on advice that the 14inch covered too much rad in normal running for their to be much natural cooling going on.

Triumph fitted fairly small Smiths blowing fans slap bang in the centre of the rad to the Aussie models - using standard alternators, etc. Mine is still the original fan, still works on the original thermostat (although rarely required) and when it does work it does the job fine, even though the yellow fins are almost transparent now.

yep.

i've replace my viscous with a standard fitment ... if I ever replace the old Smiths one then perhaps i'd ditch the engine fan, but i'd rather not have the couple of horses and not be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Archived