rebuilding type 16p brakes

vraksianrebel

well i have finally managed to get all the parts i need to rebuild my brakes but when i went to work on them last night i am a bit stuck.
  the guy who sold me the parts recommended splitting the calipers to make life easier for fitting the seals but the bolts are stuck solid, basically i am looking for some advice on whats the best way to go with this? do i really need to split the caliper or can it be done without and if i do it without splitting the caliper any tips or advice on how to make it easier for myself
thanks guys

Are the pistons seized solid? Best solution is keep the caliper un-split, use decent compressed air down the brake pipe inlet. Stick an 1/2" extension bar where the disc would be to stop the piston/s flying out, and both pistons will go with a bang.

If you spilt the caliper you wont have this option.

If the pistons are free and out, then caliper shouldnt need to be spilt anyway as the new pistons/seals will just pop in.

There is an 'o' ring that can/should be replaced when you spilt the caliper, if the caliper isnt leaking at the join then there is no real need to spilt it anyway unless you want to renew the 'o' ring as per a fully reconditioned unit.

Have you tried soaking them in hyperclean or some other degreasing/freeing agent?

Best not split them. If you do make sure they are correctly torqued up afterwards and I think there is an O ring between the two halfs.

If they are stuck then either use an airline with a compressor to push them out, or hook up to a master cylinder and use hydraulic pressure to shift the pistons.

Be careful once freed they have a lot of inertia behind them if you used pressure. Quite often I have to put a block of wood across one piston (that has been freed) to get the othe piston to shift.

If THAT doesn't work, and my last type 14 one didn't respond to air, grease or tons of penetrating oil... split the caliper, drill a hole across the piston from edge to edge, put something through (I used a masonry nail) and lever out with a pry bar. Not pretty but the aim is to damage the piston and save the caliper for reconditioning.