Wheel stud broke !!

WIMPUS

Hi all !

Yesterday evening worked on the brakes and i think i've not done the wheel nuts very tight (i know, i know !) :B :B
Got the wheel of 4 or 5 times this week so ..  :o

Today i hear something and i stop..
Noticed 1 nut /stud was broken off !  ??)

Other nuts where not that loose, but could tight them 1 turn more ..
Now the problem is that they are longer ones for a early dolomite sprint.
because i've got spacers at the front for the aftermarket revo's.

Where can you buy them elsewhere ?
Seen these and cheap, but are they good !?

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Grayston-Competition-Wheel-Stud-3-8-UNF-Mini-50mm-Long-SS32-/300899497177?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item460f01f4d9&_uhb=1

Also now i'm missing a nut ..
sooo where can i find 16 wheel nuts for my spit ?

The ones now are from rimmers and are rusting a bit :/

Going to try to fit an original wheel stud and hope it's long enough to get a nut a bit on !
To fit the longer ones i need to take the brake disc off again  :o :B :-/

getting really pissed off :/
First for more then a week problems with the brakes and now this ..
4 weeks to get her ready for her MOT also !

Hi Wim,

Bad luck matey - been there and done that though fortunately you seem fine. It could have been worse as I had two sheer on a motorway! Either through over-torquing or working loose like yours. Needless to say I've now gotten all a bit OCD with the torque wrench. Still as obsessive behaviour goes it's not a bad one to have.

I then made the plunge and upgraded to the Freelander studs you mentioned for added piece of mind  :P

Because of that I've got some original spec Spit nuts that aren't going to find much use now with the M12 studs fitted. I'm pretty sure I have a full set of new looking nuts although there might be one or two that are possibly bit naff and worn looking (just cosmetically) and quite possibly some of the longer Dolly studs that I fitted as a short term measure if you're interested…?

I understand your pain but isn't this part of the fun?!

Give me a shout if you are,
Dicky

So if you keep your nuts tight is isn't un usual to snap the odd one and even longer studs don't realy help.
I've changes to M12 and you can do them up as tight as you like without worrying about snapping them.
My view is that safty first (where have I heard that before?) I would seriously recomend M12 it could save your life!

Martin

Got the broken stud out (2 sec job) then got a new one it .. also 2 min job!

I can still use the spacer & the revo's .
If the original was to short to fit them, i had to install the spare wheel.
But the nut turned 3 - 4 times on the stud.
So that will be good for now, but want longer ones again.

The thicker studs would be worthwhile Wim.
The wheels are centered by the studs so are subjected to alternating lateral loads if any movement occurs between wheel, spacer surfaces and drum. You are relying on friction between these surfaces to prevent any such movement. Jarring of the wheel over bumps will severely test this friction.
Braking loads are heavy but always in the same direction so not a problem on the fronts. The rears do not experience such heavy braking loads but they do have to cope with drive loads as well, so there is a chance of alternating lateral loads from this also. (In a rotational direction)
The other problem, aggravated by the spacers and the thickness of the alloy wheels, is that the tensile loading is increased due to the distance of the nut from the drum face if there is any movement.
Those little studs have to put up with a lot.