Rotoflex Spring help

Tryumf

Today I decided to replace the rear spring on my GT6 Mk3 rotoflex, the new spring has no markings on it to determine which way round it goes so any help would be appreciated, I have noticed the spring eyes have an offset of about 1/2" to the center in other words a slight curve from back to front...Thanks David

It seems none of the new springs are marked front, and indeed nobody is quite sure why the originals were, so do not worry about that.
Re the spring eyes it sound like they are not parallel? Never thought about that before. I would guess they should be parallel to avoid stresses, and 1/2" sounds a lot in the length of the bush. but others more knowledgable than me may differ in advice. Or do I misunderstand what you mean?
Cheers
Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:
It seems none of the new springs are marked front, and indeed nobody is quite sure why the originals were......

Re the spring eyes it sound like they are not parallel? Never thought about that before. I would guess they should be parallel to avoid stresses, and 1/2" sounds a lot in the length of the bush. but others more knowledgable than me may differ in advice.....

Well as the rear track is supposed to be set for 1/16" toe-in, I suppose the spring eyes could be set that way to avoid stressing the spring in a direction it's not designed for. Something else lost in the mists of time?

Tryumf wrote:
Today I decided to replace the rear spring on my GT6 Mk3 rotoflex, the new spring has no markings on it to determine which way round it goes so any help would be appreciated, I have noticed the spring eyes have an offset of about 1/2" to the center in other words a slight curve from back to front...

Does the centre line of the spring sit directly above the centre line of the driveshaft? I've always thought so but now I wonder...

Spitfire suspension geometry; one for the small chassis Triumph racers?

Does the centre line of the spring sit directly above the centre line of the driveshaft? I've always thought so but now I wonder...

Spitfire suspension geometry; one for the small chassis Triumph racers?[/quote]

It shouldn't.  It wants to be forward of the axle centre-line to give some caster and help stability under acceleration. I think the diff is pointed slightly nose-down for this reason.

If the spring is supposed to got in a particular way then I have been ignoring it for 20 years.....

Nick

Yes, stamped FRONT on the top leaf slightly left of the center.

When correctly installed, the spring ends would be swept a little farther to the back.

It actually sort of looks more like the spring assembly is sort of triangular, with the apex forward & the base rearward.

If you have a particular way you'd like it measured, let me know.

Anyway, managed to fit the spring this morning and it went in with little trouble, I checked the old spring which had only done about 3000 miles in about 3 years and it seemed to be straighter than the new one that fitted (in a front to back way)

There is a possibility I have just bought a badly made spring, I just don’t know, but the original springs must have been stamped "front" for a reason

Nick.. I think if you managed to get your spring on without to much trouble then its probably fitted the right way round

Bah, I'm going out of town shortly, but I'll get them back out Sunday & look at the BL swing spring also for some photos.

Between us all, we should be able to come up with a fast way to identify which is front on unmarked springs.

I'm pretty sure that the old rotoflex spring I looked at was the one that was originally on the car.  I may be wrong, but I think the repair manual (one of them) also mentioned looking for the stamped FRONT on the spring.

Sorry to interrupt SpitfireMk3 2500's question --

I've pulled out the GT6 springs for examination, & after feeling sure from eyeballing them last time that they swept back toward the ends I'm not so sure now.

Here is a GT6 rotoflex spring (above) & a GT6 swing spring (below), front oriented to the bottom of the photo:

Here they both are again.  FRONT is stamped on top of the rotoflex spring, & FRONT is stamped on the shiny metal tag on the swing spring:

Here's a string across the underside of the rotoflex spring, stuck at the centers of the ends, & an improvised bob dropped from the center.  It looks like it's near as dammit to the stud in the center of the spring:

The same is true doing the same with the swingspring.  A string across the centers of the eyes at the ends seems to be directly over the stud at center (parallax makes the string look off-center in the middle due to non-reflex viewfinder in camera):

So I don't know.  Obviously there's a right & a wrong way, because they're both marked FRONT.  Anyone have any ideas of what else to check?

Dave Pearson told me that the "front" stamps means nothing. Although it comes in handy if one side is weak as you can put it down and when it comes to putting it back in you can turn it around so the weak side is on the passenger. ;)

We were talking about non-rotoflex springs so I don't know if it's the same deal for the rotoflex. The part numbers are different.

The thing that's annoying me most is that, although you can't see it well in the photo, 25-ish years ago I scratched "FRONT" with a nail or something on the flat part in the center of the swing spring.  This almost certainly meant that in a typically doofus way I didn't notice FRONT on the shiny metal tag at the time it was new, & via some process of examination & deduction arrived at the correct determination of which way was front.  Shoot if I know what it was now.

Another way to tell which is the front, is to look for the upper leaves having a chamfered edge at their ends on one side only. The angled/chamfered side denotes the front. You can see this in your picture amended here. I don't know any more than you guys what this is for though....

I'm glad we got that sorted out.  A spring, bent in the middle, at right angles to its bow?  Whatever next?
The torque at the centre, twisting the diff. would have very odd effects!

I thought it was because Triumph labelled the springs "front" to avoid Qs on the assembly line.
"'Ere, foreman. How am I expected to assemble this spring?  It could go either way!
"I want extra time [] to decide for each car!"

There's NO DIFFERENCE!!

John

Archived