sam93

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get new springs for the front of my herald ?
as I'm going to be lowwering it.

The new springs need to bring the front end down by about an 1", I also would like to know from anyone who has done this, what poundage rating on the springs they used.

Finaly what is the specs of the original ones on the front,  

Inner Diameter : ??
Length : ??
Poundage : ??

Many thanks to anyone who can help !!

Sam.  :)

moss sell a few lowered springs, but amount of lowering varies a bit depending on make of shock, existing springs and so on.
As a guide they do a 330lb spring that should give a fitted length of 6.75" (tt4301) but they also sell a 480lb spring (tt4407) that will finish at about 6.5"
I ran 440lb springs on my herald, didn't feel too hard at all.
If the springs are too low, you can fit spacers to compensate, or height adjustable shocks. Or indeed merlin motorsports sell a whole variety of springs of different lengths and rates. No info on fitted length though....

Std springs I think are around 180lb??

BTW there is a current thread in the spitfire section with a similar theme ;)

Clive is quite right, of course, about the usual Triumph suppliers, but there is a vastly wider range if coil springs to be had!

For instance this Demon Tweeks page http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorcycle/Handling/Rear_Springs/Faulkners_Race_Springs/444/3723 shows just one manufacturer's range, from 40 to 450lbs/inch, in lengths from 4 to 14 inches amd four different diameters (I think you need the 1.9").  But don't buy from DT, they are expensive.
GIve my favourite performance shop a ring, Road & Stage Motorsport: http://www.rsmmotorsport.co.uk/Products/SearchResults.aspx?keyword=spring&Page=1&PageSize=15
Ring 01524 844 066 and talk to the lovely Julie.

Honest, I don't get a commission!

JOhn

The inner diameter is 2 3/4", and the free length of my springs was 12.5" [herald 1200 estate]. Not sure on the poundage.

I'm running 9" springs, but am using coilovers.
They are 250lb, I should have used harder springs tbh, 330lb sounds good to me.
I haven't driven my herald far yet so can't really comment how stiff it feels when driving.
As Im using the standard top mounts on the coilies, the springs needed to have the correct [standard] ID.

www.coilsprings.co.uk
You can order custom springs from them [need to specify free length, poundage and id]
Or from GAZ [where i order my coilovers from]

I'm running Faulkner springs from Merlin Motorsport on my Herald - 9 inches free length and 450lb/in. The ride's far less floaty than before, but I'd still describe it as supple, and no harsher than a modern car.

The rear on my Herald has been lowered as well, using a 3/4" block under a swing spring.

660lb, about 3 inch fitted - adjustable spring seats and spacers, Not advisable in the slightest unless you want your teeth smashed out or live on a racetrack.

The important things in terms of fitment to a car is internal and external diameters, interms of lowering effect is fitted length and in terms of comfort / performance the spring rate.

At home I have a manual that lists the original spring rates and lengths fitted by Triumph, including the 'sport' springs used as well. I'll try and dig it out next time I'm home.

I suggest you have a chat with Mark at Jigsaw Racing Services. He provided the 440lb springs (1" lowering effect) complete with AVO adjustable shocks that went in to my car when it was restored. The car handles very well yet is still very comfortable on longer trips. My car is a Mk2 Vitesse saloon - much heavier than a Herald - so Jigsaw may recommend a different spec spring to achieve a good result for your requirements.

Yeah, probably end up with rounghly 300, 330 springs.

Changing to fully adjustable dampers is well worth it if you do genuinely want to improve the drive your car has.

I've got AVO's on the front. I'd avoid Spax - at work we just throw them away. Pro-Shock are good, and very light, but expencive, and not widely available (Although I may happen to know a supplier... nudge-nudge-wink-wink)

cliftyhanger wrote:
As a guide they do a 330lb spring that should give a fitted length of 6.75" (tt4301) but they also sell a 480lb spring (tt4407) that will finish at about 6.5"

I think you'll find tt4301 are 330 lb standard length & tt4302 are 330 lb lowered (fitted length 6.75")

Charlie, the info I have comes from the old TT manual (must be 15+years old now)
On herald/vitesses it says you need to take 1/2"approx off the lengths quoted for spit/GT6.
The TT4301 is about 3/4"lower than a std 1500 spit spring, and similar to earlier spits ones. In fact a friend fitted these as all the new ones he tried on his early spit were too long, these were perfect, and once properly setup to std book figures the car handles brilliantly, even with the std rear spring.

Here y'all go.

John's right about Demon Tweeks not being cheap. I got mine from there because it was the only place selling the length and rating I wanted. I absolutely refused to buy from anyone listing their springs as "uprated" without any other details. Lots of places were selling Spitfire and Herald springs as the same part too.

This is all good info, thanks everyone.
looks to me the only snag to getting springs from a non triumph dealer is  the ID - standard ID being 2 3/4" (2.75") or do 2 1/4 (2.25) fit ok?
or am I getting this mix of metric/imperial all wrong...... :-/

Excellent and most useful table, ferny!

I have a table of data on springs, from John Thomason's Courier articles in the '90s, that includes Spitfires and GT6s.  It would complement your table, but it's inWord format, and when posted the tabulation goes to pot.  You can see it if you click on the link below.

Advice please on how to post a table here?

John

Archived