Mk1 wheel/tyres/suspension etc.

richard w

A question for you.

I've just bought a Mk1 2000 automatic and would like some advice.

I wanted to fit the wheels from the Stag to it, but have found that the fronts foul the leading edge of the arches. The wheels are 15" minilite style with 195/65/16 tyres.  The front suspension looks a bit tired, so I'm going to replace the springs and shocks.

My question(s) is/are: Will new suspension help or are the Stag wheels/tyres simply too big? Alternatively would Mk2 suspension be a better bet, and would it be a straight swap?  Failing that, what wheels/tyres do any of you suggest?  I spoke briefly to Chris Allen at the Warwickshire Scatter and he suggested TR6 rims.

Thank you

Richard

I wonder if the problem is that you have 16" tyres on 15" rims?

Chris is right, TR 6 rims work well on Mk1 cars.

But only with Mk1 rear suspension. There is no real difference with the front suspension between Mk1 and Mk2.

Perhaps you just have soggy suspension, I bet they are still the original springs

Quoted from thescrapman
I wonder if the problem is that you have 16" tyres on 15" rims?

Chris is right, TR 6 rims work well on Mk1 cars.

But only with Mk1 rear suspension. There is no real difference with the front suspension between Mk1 and Mk2.

Perhaps you just have soggy suspension, I bet they are still the original springs

Sorry - typo! They are 15" - I don't think 16" will go very well with 15" rims!
I'm sure you're right about the suspension, the springs do look pretty old. I think I'll try changing that first, then try again. Where would you recommend for springs etc.? Chris Wittor?

Alex. I did wonder about lower profile tyres on the Stag rims, but I'd rather avoid that route if I can as the tyres I've got are only a year old and I'd like to use them if possible.

Richard,

For springs, Chris is your best bet. The progressive fronts are an excellent compromise between ride and handling.

TR6 rims are an ideal wheel size for the mk1 saloon. Think about 185/65/15 tyres.

Take the opportunity to polybush the suspension including the insulatorsthat fit within the spring platforms and springs.

475il rears are a good solution for the rear end.

The mk1 saloon is a fantastic car, in the 2.5Pi mk1 I think Triumph produced their best car.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll contact Chris and seek his too.

If I can use the Minilites then I think I'd rather do that as it would save some pennies, if not I'll probably stick with the standard rims and get some new tyres.  A more expensive solution can wait for now.  The ones that are on at the moment are all 175/70/13, but are all odd, of different ages, manufacturers and patterns!  The spare looks new, but is different again and a different size 175/13, which is approximately 1 1/2" larger diameter!  One way or another something needs to be done!

I agree with you Tim.  I think that the mk1 is a lovely looking car, unfortunately I've never driven one but I think that the 2.5 pi was Triumph's best sounding engine.  Thank you for the best wishes - this should my transport next October.  Can't wait!

A simple upgrade on a Mk1 with its 4 1/2 inch rims (assuming they are the original) is to fit 5 inch Mk2 rims.  Loads around, especially where people have done 15 or 16 inch alloy wheel or TR6 wheel upgrades.

Just to live up to my name I am actually after TR4/4a rims .........

MUT

Check to see how wide the wheels are.

I have Minilite replica's on my MkI PI with 195/60x15. Our MkII Estate Has the same wheels (5.5J) with 195/65x15.

My Stag has 14" real ones with 195/70x14 (very tall). Check James Carruthers, "Minty lamb" website for relative tyre / wheel diameters.

Richard

There is very little choice in 13 inch tyres now, and what there is can very very expensive.

You could do what previous owners of 2 of my cars have done and fit à selection of cheap nasty chinese tyres and 8-ply van tyres. Thei handling becomes really exciting ...

14 inch Stag steels are another solution, and there is a very good selection of 14 inch tyres available.

Quoted from thescrapman
There is very little choice in 13 inch tyres now, and what there is can very very expensive.

I have had no problems getting good 175-70x13 tyres for my cars.  Had a check on the site Bill posted and there were 50 premium ones and loads more of other quality.  Price for Premium was about £40 which is what I paid for my Maxxis and they are OK.

MUT

Thanks all of you.

I had trouble with my original 14" Stag wheels, I found that they weren't actually round! Which is why I ended up with the minilites

I think that my first priority is to sort out the suspension, then I'll work out what to do regarding tyres. In the meantime I'll look at your link Bill and also Black Circles and I'll speak to the local independent tyre company here in Worcester.

Andy, I agree I have no intention of trying to turn it into a racer - it's too nice driving smoothly! It's such a different car from the Stag, I just love driving it - should have had a saloon years ago 😎

Thank you all

Richard

Quoted from TedTaylor

I have had no problems getting good 175-70x13 tyres for my cars.  Had a check on the site Bill posted and there were 50 premium ones and loads more of other quality.  Price for Premium was about £40 which is what I paid for my Maxxis and they are OK.

MUT

Thanks Ted

I think Colin wqs referring to the original sized 175r13
Those ones from tyeleader are both tyres that have been out of production for a while, I would be checking manufacture date before purchase

As to finding cheap tyres, I use
http://www.tyrepriceadvisor.co.uk/

as well as tyreshopper (who are national tyres online but much cheaper, usually well priced if you want a fitted option)

Quoted from TedTaylor

MUT

Ted
Don't you think 175/70/13 look a little small on the saloon/estates. Really need 80 profile which cuts the choice down

Cheers Andy

Quoted from willows40

Ted
Don't you think 175/70/13 look a little small on the saloon/estates. Really need 80 profile which cuts the choice down

Cheers Andy

Andy they look fine to me.  185s would be nicer as I used them on AFH my Mk1 'rally car' in the 1990s but they are now a problem.

Ted

Hey Richard, I reckon your minilite rims may have a lower number offset than standard (ie stick out further). I had 15x6" superlites on my MK1 with the recommended +24mm offset and 195/15/55s and there was almost 1" clearance between tyre and arch (I assume we're talking front). This was with the car quite low. I eventually fitted 15mm hub spacers to get it to look better and it still never touched. If we're talking rear, mine has the wider track MK2 rear end on it and the same wheels/ tyres never hit either. I now have 15x7 +0 offset rims with the same tyres and that definitely requires arch mods, but I reckon it'd be worth checking what offset you have if you can. Another clue to the offset, with the 15x6s and +24 offset there was under 10mm clearance between the rim and the strut. If you find you have six inch or wider rims and still have much strut clearance then the offset must be closer to +0
Cheers
Josh

Quoted from josh18
Hey Richard, I reckon your minilite rims may have a lower number offset than standard (ie stick out further). I had 15x6" superlites on my MK1 with the recommended +24mm offset and 195/15/55s and there was almost 1" clearance between tyre and arch (I assume we're talking front). This was with the car quite low. I eventually fitted 15mm hub spacers to get it to look better and it still never touched. If we're talking rear, mine has the wider track MK2 rear end on it and the same wheels/ tyres never hit either. I now have 15x7 +0 offset rims with the same tyres and that definitely requires arch mods, but I reckon it'd be worth checking what offset you have if you can. Another clue to the offset, with the 15x6s and +24 offset there was under 10mm clearance between the rim and the strut. If you find you have six inch or wider rims and still have much strut clearance then the offset must be closer to +0
Cheers
Josh

Thanks Josh. I'll check that at the weekend if I get the chance. I'm working away from home now this week, so won't be able to do anything until then, but thanks for the tip.

Richard