New tyres and subsequent issues. Help please

Jessica Herald1961

So I found 3 more 5 1/2 wheels for my herald and have since got lovely new tyres put on them all and are now on the car looking brilliant.

However, the tyres are too big for the front!

Dad has recommended I get some spacers but I've already put some on way before, so the next suggestion was to get adjustable height dampers but I need some help. (Reason for doing this is because it is basically the same price as getting 5 new tyres!)

Do I get any of these.... Or do people have some suggestions please?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSA366SPAX cheaper than new tyres

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSA366SPAXAS which are more expensive than new tyres

Or different make and cheaper still http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSA366GAZ
Or same but more pricey http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSA366GAZAS

Thank you in advance

What size are the tires? I know that 175/70R13s are no problem on the 4.5" wheels, but I suppose they might be on a 5.5" wheel? And where is this clearance problem: bodywork? suspension? other?

As for the shocks, I know lots of people don't much care for Spax, but others do, so.... ;)

Spacers?that will make it worse surely?
I have 5.5 steelies on my 13/60,standard height rear spring(though tired) and lower stiffer springs on the front.I have rolled lips on both the rear arches and the front,no rubbing issues with 175/70`s.
Steve

Have you checked the offset of the wheels? I bought a set of Cobra supersolts that had been on a GT6 and assumed they would go straight on my car. After all sorts of fun and games I ended up having the arches rolled which worked out quite well.

See the thread I did on the subject, it might help?: http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1424453169/s-0/

Jessica_Herald1961 wrote:
Think Tim put lowered springs on it. I have already put spacers on it. Tyres are 5.5 with 165's. Front wings are kind of falling apart but not THAT bad to cause rubbing every time I turn a corner.

Could try it Clive- think the ones on the car are 3/8"

Spacers will adjust the offset but I don't think that's the solution for rubbing issues. Which tyre size do you have? straight 165s or 165/70s?

I have 175/70 tyres on my Vitesse on 5.5j rims, and had to fold the wheel arches over flat against the sides (front and rear) to avoid rubbing/cutting into the sidewalls. They don't rub on the wheel arches on the correct rims, but I have another set with more outset where the clearance is much less. And I've tried a TR7 set where they did rub. Once you fit 5.5j rims, everything gets close one way or another.

Also mine rub slightly on the bulkhead on full lock, especially over a bump, but that's not an issue in normal driving (just in production car trials).

cliftyhanger wrote:
Let me know if you want the spacers, can pop in the post. They under on the springs so springs/shocks need to come apart.
Bizarrely I have just made some 3/8 spacers for the spit....

We could've done a swap! Sorry. I'll double check the spacers on the car already but pretty sure they're less than an inch and I which case I'll definitley have them off you. SEM?

Don't think they're 165/70. They rubbing on the top of wheel arch (mainly because they're a little rusty) but Mildred had exactly the same and they were fine on her.

Cheers Tim.

You may want to experiment with different tyre sizes.

Our car is fitted with 5.5" LP923 wheels and the suspension is lowered 1".

When purchased, the car was fitted with 185/60 tyres. These were a little old, tired and the smaller diameter meant the speedo was wrong. We decided to replace them as a priority. After some research we realised 175/70 tyres were more suitable because they matched the diameter of the factory radial option, the 155/80x13. However, the 175/70 tyre rubbed on the rear bodywork at times, especially on undulating surfaces when running with a full petrol tank, two passengers and weekend luggage. We decided to try the intermediate size 175/65 and found that these worked really well. The size is larger diameter than the 185/60 but still a bit smaller than the 155/80, so the speedo is still a little wrong. However, it is close enough for our needs. We have experienced no rubbing or handling problems at all.

1316 wrote:
We decided to try the intermediate size 175/65 and found that these worked really well. The size is larger diameter than the 185/60 but still a bit smaller than the 155/80, so the speedo is still a little wrong. However, it is close enough for our needs. We have experienced no rubbing or handling problems at all.

What 165/65 tyres did you manage to find? I remember looking and not finding any.

10402 wrote:

What 165/65 tyres did you manage to find? I remember looking and not finding any.

Actually the tyres are 175/65x13 Hankook Optimo K715. The tyres are mid-range steel belted radials and seem to work quite well in dry and wet conditions, although we've only been caught in the wet a couple of times   :o

10402 wrote:

Not too hard to find just type in the tyre size you require into the search box on Google and you will get a list of sites stocking the tyre.  :-/

Here is the a link to the first site on the list.

http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=165&profile=65&rim=13&speed=T