wheels and tyre again

heraldhabitat

I just fitted a set of Stag wheels to the 2000 estate with 185/70/14 tyres, it's horrible, it ran better with the 25 year old michellin 175x13 XZX's.
Any ideas on whats wrong? I have checked the rims and tyres and they look fine (I have a good eye for tyre defects.)

If the tyres are brand new and it feels a bit skittish, then they probably need to wear in a bit. I've had the same problem with the last two cars I've fitted new tyres to. It drives me nuts and I end up stopping at the side of the road to check there's no problems, adjusting tyre pressures (tyre fitters always seem to put 38psi in them). But once they've done a couple of hundred miles or so they seem fine.

Well up to 30 they feel ok then it feels like the car is loosing a rear wheel and then at 70 it's ok again, steering shudder on the over run, had the balance checked and seem to be at the correct pressure, all looks well :'(
The only thing I'm not happy with is the locking nuts, they don't look right for the job, anyone got 4 stag wheel nuts they don't want?

Based on your description firstly I'd check the holes in the wheel for wear i.e. that they haven't become oval etc and also that the nuts fit properly (i.e. no play betwwen nut and wheel and nut length correct for wheel and wheel stud on hub).

If that's OK then probably need to check all the wheels for run-out.

It does sound as through they're not running true when fitted on the car -- most likely one of the above IMHO

Well I got to the bottom of the problem (I think!) a slightly oval tyre and a definate loose wheel bearing, both on the front n/s hub, now adjusted. I took it for a drive and it feels ok, a bit peculiar but I suppose it will feel diferent  on 185/70/14's as  compared to the 25 year old 175/13 Michellins and Grand Prix S's

I am quite good generally at diagnosing faults through the seat of my trousers, I would have bet that the problem was on the rear tyre......well just shows you ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Archived