Problem with wheels...

Rumpith

I reckon 155's are about right Rumpy, ho hum. Re: rears v's fronts ain't it the truth? What a bugger! Welcome to the wonderful world of Spitfire eh? :) :)
You're on the money Charlie - although I find wider wheels help the braking. Wind resistance comes into it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;D Me so subtle. Especially when I'm welding.
Rumpy's gone quiet and I'm worrying about him. I imagine the poor bugger out there with a couple of Stillsons or something, fettling those arches like beggary. Hmmm.

I had the same problem with my set up and I am going for less offset and more -tive camber.

My wheels looked exactly the same - rear tyres stuck out buy an inch or so.

(I have been talking about this for a while but after my little accident I have had some insurance problems - grrrr)

The more offset the further in the wheel sits into the arch. It is a measure of how far the centre-line of the wheel is in from surface of the wheel that mates to the hub. Therefore 0 offset means that the centre-line of the wheel is at the hub.

I chose an offset that would ensure my wheels would not foul the wheelarches. I think Rumpith, getting 1/2" taken from the adaptors might be a good idea on the fronts so the wheels (and tyres) sit in.

The only thing that make a marked difference to where the wheels sit is to check whether there is a shim under each tower and remove it from each side. this will increase negative camber but ensurethe top wishbone moves in by a distance rather than increasing negative camber by moving the bottom wishbone out (the normal way that increasing negative camber adjustmenats are made).

I hope you get this resolved Rumpith as the ar looks fantastic and I would not want to compromise if the car was mine.

Neil

Part of the supposed problem is that Jon's Spit is a mk3 and the arches are not as wide as the mk4/1500.

However I had this problem after fitting wider wheels to my mk2 GT6 - Dunlop 5.5J/Revolution 5.5J and just dressed the inside of the arch as I have suggested. This work is not visible unless you open the bonnet and have a look at the inside of the arch. End of problem. I did this back in 1986.

Jon,

I'll mail some snaps to you this evening.

I am indeed going to "dress the arches" (or get a pro to do it) There's a good 1" or so of flange, and we reckon we can cut it back by about 3/4" then seam weld the edge to give a nice rounded finish. The cost will be about 100, which is a lot cheaper than changing the wheels or buying lots of new tyres...

Jon if you do decide to widen out the arches I've seen the guys in the body shop I'm in at the mo using this manual ram to do that and lots more and it's awesome, moves a bit of bodywork about 1mm each throw so it's real gradual and no hit marks or anything. Real quick too, if you took it where you got the paint job done bet they'd do it fer free in 5 minutes, and they'd know if there was any filler anywhere that might break the paint.

smithy,

Yep they stuck out quite a bit.

I bought minilight replica wheels soon after I had bought the car - never having heard of the long and short half shafts. So the offset was a little too great, the tires a little too wide. And when going over uneven ground or with someone in the passanger seat with a full tank of fuel - things began to rubb.

naa the steels did a tad aswell, just on the ledt side as it seems to stick out abit, probably suspesion alignment or something so dont woryy, oops i mean YEH! they did! you cant fit them on your car youll have to scrap them now, should have said before you repainted them, dont worry ill take them off your hands instead of having to pay some scrappy to take them away ;) *hmm i could do with some black ones maybe............maybe have black AND yellow ;) *

All this talk of rubbing tyres made me look at mine and they are still rubbing slightly although no cut marks because I've rounded the lip in already.  A bit more 'dressing' is in order,  although hitting it with a ruddy great hammer is more fun and satisfying! ;D

yup!!! agree there! my steels wernt too bad then just left very slight grooves in the side, revs on the other hand, with my cut slicks, shredded it into spaghetti! and still be attatch to the wheel, almost like a cheese string actualy. then end up splattering around the arch etc, after mallory i had rubber covered arch lol

[quote by=smithy link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175438275,s=45 date=1175703195]Hmm, MY steels are OK, so I expect these other rubbishy things to be OK as well. At the moment there's 3 black and 2 red btw. Might be inneresting to mix 'em up a bit on your motor. :D[/quote]
I concur, smithy. We'll mix yours up by putting some on my car and some on yours.

ps - I also notified your post by mistake......yes...mistake.

Ryan, it pleases me that you love these Revo's so much. :)
I like the idea that if they don't fit to my satisfaction then 2-litre wants first refusal, then you and Chris will be after 'em.
Don't count on it though matey.. I may just 'massage' or 'dress' the arches, and put on 600lb springs, and give the car a 30 degree front camber before I give 'em up. Or swap the chassis. Or the car.

I never had a post notified before. Wonder why not? :D
BTW they're all finished properly in black now. They're... silky.

Archived