Problem with wheels...

Rumpith

As many of you will know, I have chrome wires, which I bought from Rimmers. They are the trpe for which there is an adapter which bolts onto the hub, and the wheels then fit onto the splined, threaded centre. I did wonder if this would increase the track, but assumed they would have changed the offset in manufacturing to compensate for this. However, after a country lane blast this afternoon, I noticed that the front offside tyre is now badly damaged with cuts all round where it has come into contact with the arch under suspension compression.

Anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix? Should I give Rimmers an earful?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just how far do the wheels stick out?  Looking at photos of your car it looks pretty normal to me.  How wide are your tyres, because that may have more impact. 

Because I've fitted 175/70s on my car plus having wires, they were hitting the arches too.  However nothing a hammer and 10 minutes happy banging couldn't fix!

I would recommend you start off by looking at the inside lip of the front arches.  If you bang these upwards then nothing can be seen from the outside and you get a centimetre or so extra clearance which is often all you need.  Plus the sharpness of the lip is also lessened because you've rounded it upwards.  Two birds, one stone!

My wheels now only scrape on maximum lock which is obviously not used in normal driving.

They do stick out a bit, don't they?!  Have you got any negative camber set on them?  I'd have thought at least -1, which is what I have, would be a good start and this along with rounding in the lip would probably work ok.

Mind you I'm surprised on 155s you have the issue.  Maybe consider your suspension settings?  I'm guessing you've fitted shorter than standard springs?

If you have adjustable shocks then harden them a up a couple of notches.  I was amazed at how 'hard' my Koni suspension was set and yet how comfortable it is.

[quote by=RumPith link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175438275,s=0 date=1175438275]Is there an easy fix?[/quote]

Change them for some real wheels ;)

The wires that were on my Mk2 were nowhere near the arches on 145s... yours look way too far out. The hub adapters usually add some track - but not that much...

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175438275,s=7 date=1175459088]James, thats a bit melodramatic. I bet there is nothing wrong with the car's body.[/quote]

Well if it's only on one side... something isn't straight?

Of course - they don't come that straight as standard... the extra track exacerbates any wrong angles.

James, it's not just on one side, just that I was only managing to compress the suspension that far on the driver's side (is my car trying to tell me to lose weight?).

I'll have a look at the camber issue and try hardening the Koni's a bit - am I right in thinking you have to REMOVE the shocks to adjust them?

[quote by=RumPith link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1175438275,s=10 date=1175493092]James, it's not just on one side, just that I was only managing to compress the suspension that far on the driver's side (is my car trying to tell me to lose weight?).[/quote]

Don't forget to check to be sure you've got the little aluminum spacer on top of the spring on the driver's side.

Edit:
The spacer is in the parts catalog for the GT6 Mk3:  was it originally included with the GT6 & Mk2/+, or just added with the Mk3 to alleviate the problem?

Hi Rumpith
Apart from the tyre wear problem, looking at the view of your wheels from above it looks like you have a legal problem. Officially the tyres should not stick out beyond the wheel arches. Unlikely that the law will bother with only that much, but technically they could make life uncomfortable for you. Don't know if it would be a problem come MOT time (probably depends where you go).

One way around it is to re-register your car as a tractor, then you don't need wheel arches at all.  ;D

Rumpy - get on to Rimmers and ask them why the wheels don't fit under the arches and how they're gonna help you get it sorted matey! Any other course of action may delay the inevitable visit to the bottom of a pot-hole big enough to spoil your day, but you WILL find one, camber alterations and wing-lip bending notwithstanding.
I eventually did. Ouch.

Great, now I've got to post that picture of my gnarly spring again.

The spring & shock are NOT coming off until it's time for new bushes or the shock dies, & the Koni's just keep hanging on.

Even if that driver's side spacer wasn't OEM on the GT6 & Mk2/+, remember that the front springs are the same on all three & that they must have fitted it to the GT6 to solve the driver's side sag problem that existed in previous cars.

Jon,

Whatever wide wheel you fitted would cause this problem. I'd still look to get the arch dressed back and ensure that no sharp edges are present to cut into the tyre. My car at full droop occasionally rubs the wheel against the arch, maybe fit harder springs- 480lbers.

My wheels stick out just like yours and I have encountered no problems with an authority.

Thanks, Tim. Just spoke to Rimmers, and they said that the Mk3 was originally specified with 4.5" rims, but their wires follow the original spec optional wire wheels. Looks like I need to look at all 3 options to sort the problem (roll the arches, add neg camber and harden the front end. Not sure about harder springs (I'm on 330lb at the moment), I think adjusting the shocks will be the cheaper short-term solution...

I accept I have a boat anchor 6pot but I've found the 440lb springs and set harder than standard Konis fine and comfortable, even on the RBRR.

I agree though, tighten up the shocks and roll the inside of the arches and go from there.  Good luck. :)

Hmmmmm.  Rumpy, is that tyre of yours lunched you think?
It's a shame if you can't get the original 4.5'' wires these days, but I'm sorry, I still reckon those simply just don't fit.

Here's my thinking.
- Levelling spacer has sod-all to do with this.
- Altering the camber will just mean that the wheel will meet the arch further down the sidewall. Hah!
- Strengthening the front end's fine if you like a nice good hard front-end ride.
(I don't, I'm old and fat and I like a comfy ride, darling, especially after I tried it meself. You might, fair enough).
- Bending in the wheel arch helps, but it's an ugly and un-smart bodge. Yes it is!

Just FYI, when my front right trapped up under the arch after an earlier incident just like yours and AFTER doing exactly these mods, it was a proper nuisance. I found a 4 or 5'' hole to drop the cars front wheel into to cause this hassle; it was beautifully sited in front of a pump on a garage forecourt.
What happened was that the wheel trapped under the bonnet, and when the spring decompressed (is that the word? It'll do) - it pulled the bonnet down, breaking the front-right mount and distorting the rear right of the bonnet by the bonnet catch as well - which also broke, as I recall.  Good eh? (As well as ruining my SECOND tyre, of course). Still, it was better than having it happen on the road...

Here's my credential photograph. (I can photograph another tyre like it if you want!) I'd urge you to consider changing the wheels rather than the car, but hey! Free country! :)

Thanks, Smithy. First I'm going to detach one of the shocks, so that I can lift the wheel and see whether adjusting the arch will do the trick. I don't want to go to all that expense and agro if it's still going to catch (albeit further down the sidewall as your has)

1 degree of neg camber won't make a great deal of difference, but again, if we're looking at a couple of mm clearance, it's worthwhile.

What about having the adapter plates skimmed by 1/8" or something? They're pretty thick, so I don't think it would affect their structural integrity...

If you can skim the adapters and keep their integrity fair enough, but you certainly do have some way to go judging by your photo...! More like an inch than an eighth of one!
Still, gotta start somewhere.
I'm surprised that Rimmers flog an adaptor and 5.5'' (I'm presuming) wire wheel arrangement that's SO wide matey.. It's damn odd. I wonder what the offset is on those babies? Plenty?
**Edit**
Here Rumpy me old pumpy, you can buy 4.5''ers from Rimmers can't ya eh?
I reckon it might be best at some time to consider a swap out with your caring supplier.....

I don't think the whole tyre will need to fit under the arch, Smithy, but once I've detached the shock I'll be able to tell.

As you say, if worst comes to worst I'll see if Rimmers can do a sway for the 4.5" rims. Shame because the rears are spot on... I could change just the fronts, but then what would I do about the spare?

**EDIT**

Just been reading the info on Rimmers' website - they recommend checking tyre size for clearance. What is the narrowest tyre that I can fit to 5.5" rims? I thought I already had the narrowest possible (155)...

Archived