14" wire wheels on a mk1 GT6

Phil Brooks

On a similar note: I have bought (very cheaply) a set of wire wheels  'type 42', hub diameter is 62.5mm, there are 75 splines and the spline length is 37mm. They are 48 spoke wheels.

I am hoping to fit these to my 1969 - 13/60 Triumph herald convertible. I am looking at the splines / adjusters that i need to fit these on, there are a lot on ebay and come in at about £200 for a good pair.

Does anyone have any advice (other than dont do it! lol) that i need to be aware of? I really like the look of them and it will be the finishing touch to the rebuild.

Cheers

The problem with larger wheels is the amount of camber change that Triumph suspension causes.   To fit the larger wheels you have to use lower profile tyres with stiffer walls.   So the treads can't sit flat on the road and grip suffers.
But each to their own.
John

There is roundtail GT6 owner stateside that just mounted 14 inch wires (I believe they were 5 inches wide) from Dayton - he went with larger brakes and needed the taller wheel.
He kept the same oversize tire OD that he had been running with his 13 inch rims.  I would have gone lower profile tires to maintain the factory OD and speedometer accuracy.

For some reason I think the roundtail proportions just look better with 13 inch rims whereas squaretails seem to lend themselves to 14.

Hazen,
I used to do that. Wires on, on Saturday afternoon. Show on Sunday and wires off after the show. Even did it once with a 200 mile round trip to the show. Cleaning the car got old before swapping the wheels did.
                                                                                         All the best,
                                                                                         Paul