Nick Jones

Are they always a sod to bleed??  :(

Dismantled both master and slave due to random sticking issues and having cleaned those up and got them moving sweetly again (seals looked good enough but will be renewed later) it gave me all kinds of grief, first when trying trying to get fluid through the system and then later trying to get the last of air out.

Suspect an EZ bleed would have been the right weapon but mine is old and the little adaptor cap has been lost along the way somewhere.  Had to resort to blowing into the fluid reservoir to get the system filled as it would NOT pump through on the pedal.

It is working again now, and better than before but still a little squashy as there is air in it - I can see it in the pipe up by the master but I can't get it out......  Could take the slave off again and hold it up high I suppose.

On the Vitesse I just open the nipple, wait 'til the air bubbles stop, close bleed nipple.  Job done.

Nick

yep they are a pain in the bum!

an easi bleed pressurised bleeding system should do the trick.  When stuck out in the field, I pull the slave piston fully home by hand from under the car, with the nipple open and the assistant pumping the pedal in between.

Hello Nick,

I can't recall the 2000's being difficult to bleed and have used the gravity method occasionally?

Before I bought an Easy Bleed, and with an empty system (brakes or clutch), I would unscrew the bleed nipple and get my assistant to press the pedal once and hold, then I put a finger over the end of the bleed nipple so the pedal could be raised, remove finger, press pedal and so until some fluid was flowing. Once at that stage,  I reverted to normal bleeding procedure, I found this was much quicker as the presence of fluid seemed necessary to build any real pressure.

Alec

Right pain to bleed.

The lockheed masters don't seem to want to self-prime.

I started mine by putting a very long clear tube on the bleed nipple and sucking as hard as I could, stopping as the fluid approched my mouth.

Also you may as you suggested need to hold the slave as high as you can to get the air into teh slave so it can be expelled.

Cheers

Colin

Is the pain partly in getting to the slave cylinder?
Here's an idea found on Renault transaxles, where the slave is at the top, almost totally inaccessible when fitted to a production car.

Replace the bleed nipple with a length of brake tubing, with a bleed nipple on the end.
Position the remote bleed nipple on a bracket somewhere convenient.
Then at least you don't have to struggle to get to it!

John

Yep can be a real pain to bleed .. But I do tend to use the gravity method along with blowing down the resesvoir via some heater hose .
Also as soon as you get some form of peddle .. Just leave it alone , don't try any further as it's a waste of fluid . Either drive the thing or leave it overnight , any remaining air always comes to the top . In some ways the MK2 plastic pipes are a bonus because you can see what's going on ! Incidently I've never had problems with the plastic set up although I know others have . Still better and safer with Aeroquip hose and fittings ... Brake fluid burns rather well !

Ah, that's ok then - was worried that the master cyl was more knackered than it looked - Colins comment about it not wanting to self-prime is spot on.  Never had that before.

Richard, Bleed nipple is on the top.  I's learnt that one  ;D

Interesting technique that reverse bleeding Andy - might just finish the job too as the air is sitting just up by the M/C.  Pedal is actually pretty fair - seems to have improved over night (That's counter intuitive!!) - better than it was before I took it to bits now so might leave it a little rather than risk making it worse.

Nick

Recently had a similar problem. Think it's because the position of the master cylinder outlet doesn't allow gravity feed to the slave, It's got to go uphill a bit to get to the pipe.
Used an old cap,fitted a tubeless tyre valve, a couple of strokes with a bike pump and wham!

Archived