Loss of the"pulley wheel securing nut"

ginger948cc

I've now lost 3 in 12months!  I try to tighten them,but when the fan starts to turn how can I tighten them more.
It was suggested to me that I should use some sort of adhesive (lock-tight or something) .There must be a simple answer.Triumph ,surely ,wouldn't have designed things which fall off would they?????

Many thanks for your responses.

Well done Tim, that's the one. That solution sounds fine;- why didn't I think of that. (NO smart  Alec answers thankyou!)

I'll order another and find out the torque setting in the mean time. Thanks all, for your responses. There can't possibly be a better club than this.

Thanks Tim, I sourced a previous one from Geoff. If it's sunny tomorrow I'll take Consuela down the A 22 for a spin.She had a new year wash and polish today and wants to show off .(The lack of a crank nut shouldn't make any difference  -I've driven miles like that before . "I think the tension of the fan belt keeps things in place", ........    he said optimistically)

P.s. The headlights decided to work today.It must be a loose connection. The halogen replacements make a real difference ;- mind you I've only tried them in the garage.

Thanks Tim,I'm going to get Clint to put in relays and fuses before I use the lights. I can contact him now I have received my radio,which I will ask him to fit..(along with a list of electically related jobs).

I've ordered the crankshaft pulley nut from Canley...£8.00 inc VAT. ,postage minimal, it will be here tomorrow,and it's new.  Wins was £7.50 +VAT ,cost of picking it up, and it's pre-used.

I've searched the workshop manuals for the torque setting,but it's not mentioned. If I just do it up nice and tight, is there a possibility of over-doing it ,so as to restrict the pulley?

What's good about Club Triumph?................... Us novices are never made to feel out of place!

I had a similar problem with my old 13/60 estate with 1500 Spit engine. The nut came off when I was just touching 90 (non overdrive) the thing clattered around the bonnet came out from underneath spinning up in front of the car bouncing at the same time. It eventually shot off to the other side of the motorway, I always wonder if someone ended up with it on there lap :o
Talk about needing a change of underwear! Anyway the new nut was tightened up with Lock tight, I can't remeber the torque but I didn't mess, it didn't come off again.
Chris

Dave,

Reckon Chris is right in recommending the use of Loctite.

I remember when I changed a timing chain on a Spitty some time ago (Blimey thinking back it must have been 1988!!!), i was shocked at the torque setting -I think it was over 100lb/ft- had trouble geting it tight as my torque wrench could not get it up to the setting- used a pice of mild steel tubing over a breaker bar. I have lost my Spitfire manual so cannot recall the correct setting.
Think James C will prob have the figure available.GT6 figure is 90 - 100.

Thanks all for the information.

I remember one of them coming off on the way down the A 23 to a Gatwick area group meeting .I didn't know what it was at the time,but there was an almighty metallic ,gun-shot resembling bang under the car;and my passenger,Les Smith,"hit the floor". I was terrified at the time. But Les emerged with a quote which will be recognised by all who visit these forums;- I shouldn't worry Dave, you have to expect strange noises,--it is aTriumph after all! . Thanks Les ,great advise from a former engineer at the Triumph factory in the 60s.

This next one is staying put.

Is the woodruff key in good condition? While I have on occasion lost pulley nuts in the past, I've never lost 2 off the same car - once it's back on, it should be there for good. I can't find a specific torque setting in the manuals, but just stick the car in gear and keep tightening as the car starts to move against it's handbrake!
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived