crank end float etc

shedmonkey

Right some daft questions (as ever)

After plucking up courage to check the endfloat on the Taxis crank I was expecting the worst -but couldnt detect any play at all ? so wanted to check I was checking it right-

assistant dipping the clutch and holding it dowm whilst I with thin pry bar between bottom pully and timing cover try and lever the crank  forwards- the only play I could detect was the flex in the rubber between the centre and outer of the of the pulley

the reasons I was checking is that the oil pressure isnt great -but still around 45psi when very hot and getting nailed ,but mainly the clunk felt on taking up drive which just sort of feels like the crank jumping around a bit,but saying that could easily be a gearbox/clutch realease bearing issue or even a prop U/J -I was rather hoping the crank was shagged then I would have an excuse to swap and shed up another engine!
Other faults are a tendancy not to start when hot - you have to crank it for 20-30 secs sometimes!-this might have nothing to do with compression and be a carb/inlet problem when hot?

Anyway I ramble on -am I checking for a dodgy crank in the the right way or just being a knob?
Oh yeah on a cold start up there is a slight bottom end rattle but nothing like some of the six pots Ive had in the past!

Just to put your mind at rest, yes you are a knob.

:P

Despite this, I think you're on the right track - as you put your foot on the clutch it's trying to push the crank forwards, when you release it, the cranks can go backwards (but not unless it's spinning and/or you're pushing it. You would only be able to see excessive end float when the thrusts drop out i.e. it's shagged.  If you can't feel any movement try looking at the pulley with the engine running and someone operating the clutch - now even knobs know not to go trying to lever things when it's running or you'll get a pry bar through your skull or crotch (or other nearby vital bit). Excessive end float should be visible but a bit of pulling and pushing should show it up. Anything you can see is probably too much.

ajp wrote:

the oil pressure isnt great -but still around 45psi when very hot and getting nailed  

Mine runs at about 50 under similar conditions, drops to 30 on tickover - I never had any worries about that!

ajp wrote:

Oh yeah on a cold start up there is a slight bottom end rattle but nothing like some of the six pots Ive had in the past!  

are you running an original or spin on filter?

all of my clunks seem to originate from the diff/driveshafts - does yours sound like it coming from the front?

Rgds
Mike!

It does feel like a crank/clutch/gearbox front end of prop clunk

The gearbox when hot hot rattles like Gordon Brown until you put the clutch in -so I guess an internal G/Box problem-the clutch is 10years old and been given plenty of gip

Im committed to doing a bit of Engine/Gearbox clutch swapping etc before the RBR ,but now thinking I can get another RBR out of the engine/crank ?

So was I checking the crank correctly?

ajp wrote:
Right some daft questions (as ever)

assistant dipping the clutch and holding it dowm whilst I with thin pry bar between bottom pully and timing cover try and lever the crank  forwards- the only play I could detect was the flex in the rubber between the centre and outer of the of the pulley

When you say you were levering the crank forwards, do you mean towards the engine or away? You should be leveing it towards the engine, but as someone has already said, that's far easier to do if the clutch is released.

So dip the clutch to push the crank away from the engine, then release the clutch and lever it back. Or lever it both ways, again as someone has already said.

Glen.

Archived