Sectioned 1300 or 1500 engine block pictures?

heraldcoupe

Quoted from Nick Jones
BMW bike cylinder head.....?

Nothing so exotic, I need to find out if a 6-port (1200) head can be fitted to a 1500 block, to allow a downdraught carb/manifold to be used.
At least four new stud mounting holes would need to be drilled into the block, I need to see how the positions are going to align with the waterways.

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from heraldcoupe

Nothing so exotic, I need to find out if a 6-port (1200) head can be fitted to a 1500 block, to allow a downdraught carb/manifold to be used.
At least four new stud mounting holes would need to be drilled into the block, I need to see how the positions are going to align with the waterways.

Cheers,
Bill.

Wouldn't it be easier to fabricate a manifold to suit the 1500 head? Or is it more important for it to look absolutely original?

On yan of the  aftermarket manual books
there is a cut away engine on start of books

its in the inter europe man for the GT
so mebe on the others for the smaller engines too.

failing that,

Wots needed is t, think oot side the box
an get some off set bolts

M

Quoted from Bitumen Boy
Wouldn't it be easier to fabricate a manifold to suit the 1500 head? Or is it more important for it to look absolutely original?

I have the original prototype engine installed in the Pony, this is a 1500 configured with a 6-port head. It's not been run for many years, the level of corrosion in the rest of the vehicle doesn't make me optimistic about it's condition. The original engine will be rebuilt, but it got me thinking about creating a replica setup, or more accurately, a lookalike.

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from heraldcoupe

I have the original prototype engine installed in the Pony, this is a 1500 configured with a 6-port head. It's not been run for many years, the level of corrosion in the rest of the vehicle doesn't make me optimistic about it's condition. The original engine will be rebuilt, but it got me thinking about creating a replica setup, or more accurately, a lookalike.

Cheers,
Bill.

That's very interesting Bill, I assumed it would have had the same engine as the 1500fwd export version of the 1300fwd (Israel and South Africa) this is different to the later 1500 engine as used in the home market cars. I haven't got a copy of the Dragoon workshop manuel with me but in sure it had a early type 1500 engine with a 8 port head.

Gordon

I remember John Kipping mentioning a specific export 1500 engine, he used some of the unique bits in his more unusually configured engines. If youare able to find anything in the Dragoon manual when you get a chance then I'd really appreciate it. As a prototype, thie may bear little resemblance to what saw production in the Dragoon, but the intrusion of a sidedraught arrangement into the cabin is an issue which would have needed addressing in some way.

Cheers,
Bill.

I've now been given a copy of the prototype register, this shows that my Pony's engine is actually a 6-port 1300, rather than the 1500 of the production Dragoon. The downdraught carb means the same head arrangement is a possibility, though this might have been handled by a differnet manifold design on the 8 port head.

I need to find a Dragoon to pore over...

Cheers,
Bill.