Engine Swap into Dolomite

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

What are the pitfalls of swapping a Spitfire Mk3 engine into a Dolomite 1300? Still weighing up options as a 'back up car' for RBRR if I don't get my 2000 on the road in time.

There's a tidy Dolomite 1300 I have my eye on, but a 1300 engine may be a bit slow, but I have a Mk3 engine 'in stock' as it were. I also have the overdrive gearbox from the Spitfire I could install too, if it will go in easily enough.

The Dolomite 1300 engine is essentially identical to the Spitfire Mk4 (later) apart from the cam. A Mk3 lump should just drop in, possibly with a flywheel/clutch swap, but the throttle linkage will need some fiddling. Spitfire Mk3 had a rod linkage, dolomite will be cable. What I suspect you will need is the intermediate lever from a later Spitfire... which I'm pretty sure I've got a spare of lying around somewhere (although where is a different question).

I would say, from experience, that a stock 1300 Toledo is underpowered but not impossible as an RBRR car, even if some idiot's fitted the wrong float valve and it's running piss-weak all weekend. But it used as much fuel as the PI did two years later!

If I get the Dolomite then it wouldn't be too hard to swap the engines over then - but possibly not bother with the overdrive box, that might take some extra effort to get in and get running.

I'm really weighing up what's going to be the quickest way to having a working RBRR car!

I think the 1300 Dolomite used the same gearbox mounting as the Toledo, supporting the iron casing of the 'box on an A-frame at the back of the front subframe. Dolomites with overdrive used a different subframe and mounted the O/D unit onto a dedicated cross-member attached to the inner body main rails. It's possible to fit this without swapping the subframe (my 1850 had a non-OD 1500 subframe) but it's not really feasible to use the non-OD mounting for an OD box.

Sump is also different between Spitty and Dolomite.  ISTR that the 1300/1500 cars had the gearbox mount on an extension on the back of the subframe regardless of whether they were OD or not whereas the 1850 and Sprint have the separate gearbox X-member.  Mind you I never owned a small engined Dolly (though I robbed a few of their OD gearboxes) and I've only had OD 1850s and Sprints.....

TBH, I'm really not sure that the Mk3 Spit engine has enough extra grunt to justify the work if the existing engine is healthy.  The OD swap would probably be more worthwhile to give less frantic cruising and knock the fuel bill down a bit.

Nick

That's what I was thinking, the Spit 3 engine has 75bhp and from memory a good amount of torque too - around 15bhp better than the Dolly 1300 engine, which from memory is the same as the standard 13/60 engine (well, roughly).

In the long run though, it seems my Mk1 is going to be back together for RBRR, if not thoroughly tested...

Not denying the spit Mk3 1300 is better than the later de-tuned, large crank 1300 versions.  However, the real power difference is less (SAE vs DIN number quoted) in reality and the effort involved in the swap quite considerable.

If swapping for a 1500 then you also have to take gearing into consideration as the 1500 is all about torque and much less keen to rev.

Nick

Jon, the Dolly 1300 should be capable of completing the RBRR and the 1300 engine doesn't have any inherent problems. We did the 2007 HCR in my Dolly 1300 so you should have some idea of what it will be like to drive. Whichever car you decide to use, try to give yourself at least a week to shake it down. The best way to do this is to put it into daily use. There's been many a retirement caused by finishing the car the night before the start of the run. Didn't Dave Pearson have that very problem with the Stretch Herald?

I'm not going down this route now, I'll be using the 2000. It may not have a CD player working, and no internal clock, and the rev counter and oil pressure gauge may not work, but at least it'll be going again!

I was also hoping to get it on a rolling road before hand too...

The Dolly project may happen for another event, but not this year.

• 2 months later...