Moving a 6 pot engine back in a Spitfire

Richard B

I did this on my Mk 3, you don't need to relocate the clutch cylinder or pedal for carbs, though fitting PI in would be a challenge. You do however need to remove a good bit from the (already hardly stiff) chassis.

It's easy enough to remodel the bulkhead, though more challenging to make a gearbox tunnel cover to fit and seal well. You'll need a specially shortened gear lever extension and have to hope that you can get a very late GT6 'box with J type OD to last long enough between rebuilds. Getting a decent exhaust manifold to fit is a real challenge as the steering column is in the way. I ended up getting Phoenix to build me a bespoke one which allowed the column to run through the middle. That wasn't cheap...

You can turn the front suspension turrets around, put a front engine plate off a spitfire on the 6 pot engine and achieve a 7" or so rearward bias. It certainly makes a huge difference to the handling, albeit, you've still got a vast boat anchor sized lump of iron in the front of a light car.

In summary, if you're really stuck on keeping it Triumph, then it's as good as you can make a small chassis car. However, I ditched it, put a Rover K series lump in and haven't looked back - surely that's a bit Triumph / Leyland - ish? I recently took the body off my car and realised how compromised the chassis becomes by making the mod necessary to have clearance for the overdrive. Having the body off allowed me to return it to original and add some additional strength too - but I'd think twice (or more) before repeating the original conversion.

itiejim wrote:
I recently took the body off my car and realised how compromised the chassis becomes by making the mod necessary to have clearance for the overdrive. Having the body off allowed me to return it to original and add some additional strength too - but I'd think twice (or more) before repeating the original conversion.

I saw one being done, the chassis was openned up, and additional box section members welded inside it at the point of change, and all resealed afterwards.

It was like 2 box sections attached to the bottom of the main rail, and then 1 attached to the top of them. In like an "L" shaped formation if you get my drift.

In my eyes that was certainly replacing some if not all of the lost strength.

Cheers

Colin

I'm sure there are options, and that sounds like a good one. However, you still end up doing a load of work for a compromised result and 130 slightly wheezy BHP in a less than ideal package.

I have to say that my car had much better turn in with the 6 pot engine relocated and really was an improvement over the GT6 position, but there's no comparison with having a similarly rearward located 85kg engine with 170 bhp and a 7200 red line.

Just depends what you're after I suppose. I think it's worth pointing out to the OP that the "Triumph" option is not an easy one and that better objective results can be had for less input by adopting a smaller, lighter, more modern engine.

Richard_B wrote:
I am doing a refresh on my MkIII Spitfire with a PI engine installed.

I would like to move  the engine back a bit (4" - 6"). What are the options on relocating the clutch master cylinder and pedal?

Anyone got some photographs of such work?

Evening Richard
I can supply info you need and pics of mine , . The maiden has a 6" set back as per Dave picton circa 2005 spec. There are various sub choices as it were depending on induction and gearbox spec.
Give me a ring or pm mePhone number in R&R entry list.
Regards
Dave l. Nottingham

Cheers Dave, I'll give you a bell. Thanks everyone else for their input.

To clarify I have a PI engine installed (with the original plenum tube). A Mike-the-Pipe 6-3-1, Revington TR overhead linkage on early throttleboddies, with a Hi-Torque starter fitted.

There are height clearances issues at present, possibly due to the use of a Saloon sump on the sterring rack. I do have a GT6 sump available, which would require dents to clear the big ends. If I could situate the engine with the sump just aft of the steering rack that would be ideal.

Steve Attenborough's PI GT6 had a custom air box (but I would like to retain the Triumph plenum tube, although I would not mind adding a chamfer at the rear of the tube).

I have a three rail GT6 box with J'Type and 1850 internals. So I could have the remote shortened.

I do not want to do anything too radical, as I have always wanted the philosophy to be a car that Triumph could have made.

Richard,
You will have to some sculpting for the Pi if you move the engine back.
I mount mine only half an inch back, by putting the engine mounts on the back not front of the turret.

The plenum fouls the right bulkhead edge.   I took a chunk out of the back wall of the plenum and filled the hole with a small steel plate.   I was able to weld it in (MiG) but if I did it again I'd braze it.

The Metering unit fouls the corner of the left bulkhead.   Again a chunk out of that, filled with an alloy plate, pop-riveted in with sealant in the joint.  I know, there are so many leaks in a Vitesse bulkhead this has to be obsessive, but why make any more?

John

Quote:
Getting a decent exhaust manifold to fit is a real challenge as the steering column is in the way. I ended up getting Phoenix to build me a bespoke one which allowed the column to run through the middle. That wasn't cheap...

I have one of those and I agree not cheap. May be for sale if anyone makes me a nice offer.  :)