Doig

Just a quick survey to what tyres everybody runs on there car. I have 185/70 R13's on my car and have always felt that they aren't quite large enough. I've tried to find out what they run when new but every manual or report I find irritatingly just says 185 R13.

I think 185/80/R13 would look about right but these seem to be quite difficult to find nowdays 

When I bought my 2000 estate, it was running on standard rims with 175R13 tyres (full profile) which I believe is the standard size for 2000.

185R13 is a valid size - see the table at http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/help.php

However, I decided I wanted a better choice of rubber, so I now have 15x7 alloys running 205/50VR15 :-)

Russell

My PI Mk1 uses 225/50 x15... these don't fit unless you roll the arch lip.
My 2500S and PI estate uses 185/75 x 14 Dunlops... not available in UK I'm afraid
My Stag has 185/80 x 14 Michelins... nice ride

Unless you have very stiff springing the 2000 family prefers a tallish sidewall and no more than a 195... to be honest my Mk1 handles better on 195/60 road tyres but grips more (faster) on its 225 Race tyres

I will be fitting 6 x 15 minilites to the Pi estate when it is rebuilt... and fitting tyres as per Tim

nice...........

pi's were fitted with 185x13 as std. 2000/2500 used 175x13 2500s used175?x14.
185 defines a full /high profile tyre, difficult to find now as you say.you have an option
going to 185/70x14's which would give the same rolling radius,but means getting 5 new
wheels(stag steels?)

pi's were fitted with 185x13 as std. 2000/2500 used 175x13 2500s used175?x14.
185 defines a full /high profile tyre, difficult to find now as you say.you have an option
going to 185/70x14's which would give the same rolling radius,but means getting 5 new
wheels(stag steels?)

Thanks everyone for your help in this. I have managed to track down the one company in NZ that sells 185/80 R13 they're not to cheap though and given the difficulty in finding them the supply might dry up in a few years so I'll have to start looking out for some 'S' mags or something similar

hi doig, you can get 185/80 13s in nz if you go to commercial tyres but then the trump will handle like a sack of unmentionable rear ends and if you have the dreaded rear end twitch, it will exacerbate it.  you'll see andy's ref to 195/60 14s.  that's what i run on both my mk Is and i reckon they're ideal.    another person referred to the 14" equivalent of the 185/80 13 being a 185/70 14.  i think you'd find in fact that the nearest equivalent in a 14" 70 profile is 195/70 14.  that works fine if you don't want to press the car, but there's a bit too much bag in the 70 profile for really good handling, tho it's better than the std tyres.  the 60 profile tightens it up well, tho the ride does suffer a bit.  the 60s lower the gearing 3-4 percent, but the 2500s are high enough to find that quite helpful.  all a question of compromise!  just a thought:  lay out a bit of dosh for a set of minilites from performance wheels and put some 60s on the car.  you can go to 15s if you wish, or stay with 14s.  you have more tyre choices with 15" rims of course.  in either case, a much better deal than the S wheels.  you'll be doing well if you can find a set that is not square.

Ridiculously I'm attached to the original hubcaps I reckon they suit the period and style of the car well. Is it possible to fit the 13 inch TC style hubcaps to a 14inch wheel. I have heard that this is possible with the PI style hubcaps is it the case with the later ones too

Agree with Andy and Tim. Minilites are the best lookers, particularly on the MK1. I don't think they look as good on the MK 2 for some reason. And if it helps I'm running 185/65 15's on the Minilites. The tyres are Goodyear NCT. Not that cheap but bloody good.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1137032525,s=15 date=1138534236]...having nightmares when the brakes faded coming down through Switzerland into Isola.[/quote]

Yeah, could smell that there was trouble brewing under your frontwings then  ;D
Though I doubt that other wheels will help here that much. As long as you force enough cool air into your brakes the wheels will normally get the warm air out.
Bigger brakes offcourse also works wonders ....

Never had any problem with my brakes on the 10CR. Simon will back me up on this. I had, some months before, bought from ebay some new old stock, Mk1 Pi Police spec brake pads and so far, even in Switzerland have proved fade free. Maybe the Minilites help ?

Minilites / any multi spoked alloy are excellent at getting rid of braking heat... I checked the temperature of my minilites after a few very hard laps of the local circuit and they were 185 deg C !!!!!! The rubber boots on the trackrod ends were smoking  :o  The alloy conducts the heat away  8) ...

Those NOS pads will be just the ticket , I recently bought some old Lockheed pads for my PI estate and the Stag off ebay and they have Asbestos in them... not friendly but very good at stopping  you.....

• 10 months later...

Archived