Best tyre width for appearance and handling

the_nutter

I am rebuilding a Mk2 Spit with a 3L, 200BHP, straight 6 engine, please see www.spit6.co.uk for details.

I am currently working on a custom rear drive and suspension, with a limited slip diff (Toyota Supra) and vertical links and hubs from a MGF.  I need to choose the wheels as they are obviously a key part of the design process and would like feedback on what looks best on an early Spitfire, and what gives good handling.  I was working along the lines of 195-225 width, probably on 14 or 15 inch rims, primarily to allow decent brakes to be fitted to the front.

All thoughts most appreciated.

Cheers
David

14" id say look best and fit best, 15s can look too big, wheel witdh id say 6J max, so that leaves tyres around 185-205 ish? anymore, specialy on the front i i would think itd be too much, iv got 205 on the rear of mine and 175 on the front and handles nicely but was better on my 14" 6 J revs which had 185 all round, new tyres for them will be 195 all round and will do me fine for my new engne.....

2litre,

The MGF hubs haven't failed, I am still in process of designing the rear-end, including custom mounts, suspension (no transverse leaf), wish bones, etc.  I need to choose the wheel size to get the geometry and clearances right and am canvassing opinion on what looks best.  Any photos, with wheel and tyre sizes would be most appreciated. I like the proportions (not so much the style) of the wheels and tyre in the attached Vincent Hurricane, but I dont know any details of them.

Many thanks to the others who have already replied, and for the interest and support.

Cheers
David Squirrell
aka the_nutter

2litre, davesideways, Everyone else,

See what you mean now about the MGF failure.  I have amended my site so it now says shafts instead of hubs. Many thanks for spotting the error.  In my defense I did go on to talk about using uprated shafts, which probably totally confused people - how do you go from hub to shaft in one paragraph?  I blame it on beer!  When I update the site it's usually at the end of the day, and it'd be rude not to do it with a cold one.  There, I've gone from hubs and shafts to beer in one paragraph, and I'm sober.  See how my mind wanders!

I have seen isolated reports of MGF driveshaft failures on tinternet, though how much you can actually believe, and what was caused by operator error is impossible to say.  The original driveshafts on my Mk2 are 25.4mm diameter (one inch), the MGF shafts (from memory) are around 26mm, while the driveshafts I intend to use from the Toyota Supra are 30mm.  These will have to be machined though to take the splines to mate to the MGF CV joint.  Some buggeration involved but it should be robust when finished.

Back to MGF failures, the hub on one of the units I pulled from the scrap yard is fretted on its outside diameter where it sits in the smaller, inboard bearing.  I haven't stripped the other side down yet but I will replace them as a pair.  I hope this isn't a common problem!

Many thanks for all feedback, I am persuaded to go 14 rather than 15 inch and Dave I'm interested in the flared rear wheel arches. I can be emailed at the underscore nutter at sky dot common, without the mon.

Cheers
the_nutter

Hi David,
I'm building up a Herald with similarly stupid engine, an old Rover P6 V8. The suspension was initially designed around 14x6" wheels with 195 width tyres, to try and keep the high sidewalls and retain a degree of ride comfort. Since then I decided that I was going about it the wrong way, ride comfort is great but the 14" rims were restricting the brake size.

The car now has 285mm front discs, and the new wheels will probably be 15x7" with 205 tyres. Whether the loss of a half inch of sidewall makes it too firm remains to be seen. Fitting the body over the wheels is a problem for next week's episode.

Incidentally, before you start looking for 285mm Wilwood kits for Triumphs, I'm using the same Cortina upright conversion as 2-litre aka Ray. The rear's built around a Sierra diff, hubs and bearing carriers, with custom uprights and wishbones and Herald front coil-overs. Not sacrilegious to someone fitting a Toyota motor I guess!

Archived