TimRobins60

Hi, I have just bought a very nice MK4, 1970 Spitfire.
After viewing it and just before picking it up, the guy selling it rang me to let me know there was a problem with the drivers door ... he could not open it!
He had checked all the linkages and they all appeared to be fine and working correctly, but the door catch would not release.
He did offer to get it sorted, but it would probably take a few weeks, so I decided to still pick the car up and have a fiddle with it myself, as that is what the car is for, a weekend fiddle.

I have had a good look at the inside of the door, and it feels like the return spring has broken within the latch, but the door still will not open.

To make things worse, the passenger door has now jammed!!! So I cant get in the car at all now.

Any thoughts and advise - other than taking it back!

Many thanks

Tim

Won't happen.
The door mechanisms are notoriously weak.
Another technique I have used is to form a loop from a wire coat hanger, feed it in through the top of the window and catch the inside door latch with it, using the loop to gently pull the latch backwards to open the door.
I'm assuming of course that you can't get in because the hard top is fitted!!!

the likely cause is a small plastic piece that is pushed by the external door latch, this breaks and the latch does nothing.

Yes, the hard top is still on, having only just picked it up.

I think I will try the hinge option and see if I can get the catch to release/break!
Just couldn't quite believe it when the passenger door jammed as well as the drivers!!

Time to find some new locks and strikers I think.

Undoing hinges is not an option, the door will hang on the lock plate.
However, it's usually possoble to push the window down a bit, turn it fully down when the handle is in reach and then it´s fairly easy to use a hook to grab the release handle.

1379 wrote:
This set me to pondering - how you were going to take it back if you couldn't get inside to drive it????

Lol, good point!

2157 wrote:
However, it's usually possoble to push the window down a bit, turn it fully down when the handle is in reach and then it´s fairly easy to use a hook to grab the release handle.

I may be able to do this with the passenger door, but it still leaves me the problem of the first stuck door, the drivers door.
The door card is off and the mechanism has all been checked, but it still will not open!

2157 wrote:

Strange...worked for me over the last ...ty years

2157 wrote:

michael_charlton wrote:

TImRobbins60 has a MK4 and i assume it will have the same guide/safety pin as my 1500. It is that safety pin that will keep the
door to the lockplate. Another assumption is, that yours is older version and or has a different striker plate.  

For Tim i might add that sometimes the lock wont budge unless it it pushed fully closed first. So if the door card has been removed, pull/push the open handle while moving the door in/out wards.  The handle to move is not the larger one, it one of the two smaller things  ;)

OK, I have managed to open the passenger door.
I undid the hinges, luckily the door strap/stay on that side is missing, so was able to pull it far enough out so that I could then fiddle with the internal lock and the catch released.
So, one problem solved.

On the drivers door, there is a door stay, so I do not think that the hinge method will work.
We have tried pushing, pulling, tugging etc on the drivers door, while moving the handles, but it will not budge.
It is a 1970 MK4, so basically the same body as the 1500 ... I think!

Was wondering if the lock has not gone to the fully locked position because the striker plate has moved in a bit.  From what josok said the handle will not release the lock from that position.

If this is the cause, may be worthwhile thumping the door from the inside may shift the striker plate out a bit, then gently push the door in from the outside to get the lock to click over.
If you can access the plate on to which the striker plate is mounted you could push/hold it outwards.

I have no knowledge of that type of lock though.

6207 wrote:
OK, I have managed to open the passenger door.
I undid the hinges, luckily the door strap/stay on that side is missing, so was able to pull it far enough out so that I could then fiddle with the internal lock and the catch released.
So, one problem solved.

On the drivers door, there is a door stay, so I do not think that the hinge method will work.
We have tried pushing, pulling, tugging etc on the drivers door, while moving the handles, but it will not budge.
It is a 1970 MK4, so basically the same body as the 1500 ... I think!

You can get at the door check mech, by peeling back the carpet on the A post above footwell there are cavities in the hollow shell

Well, the latch is still jammed!
The door will move back and forth very slightly on the striker plate, but the latch seems to be completely jammed in the closed position.
The lever on the latch is in the release position, but the rotating latch within the mechanism seems jammed. I am wondering if the spring on it has broken and is jamming it.

Running out of alternatives now!

It has been suggested that the striker plate fixings screws could be drilled out from within the car, so that is the next thing I will have to try.