Anybody made thier own leather interior ?

Gt6s

Oh boy I NEED ANOTHER PROJECT. I need to live to 300 to complete the ones I have. ANYHOOO. Decided that instead of buying seat covers for my late spec Mk3 Gt6 (the carb car) seats I will make my own full leather interior, seats, dashtop, armrest etc etc. So bought a full leather hide in a very nice dark slate grey. Also a 1950's heavy duty sewing machine (modified it, bigger motor LED work light bulb) As my mate says "Same as his cars, bigger engine, better lights". Questions, Anybody done this ? Know of some of the pitfalls ? Know of any other options to attach covers to seat frame, other than the PITA hog rings ? There has to be a spring clip suitable for this purpose. Ideas ?

Laurence

Laurence

I see that you continue to assume you can do anything until proven otherwise.  Excellent.  I approve......  I also award you many points for bravery as leather does not respond to force and fire like metal does.....

I usually cheat and co-opt seats from other vehicles, but there are very few at home in a GT6.  My back-up cheat is that Senior Management is very handy with a sewing machine and quite likes a challenge.

Will you dismantle the original vinyl covers use the sections as patterns?  Have previously done headlining like this with great success.

Nick

Thanks Nick Actually I was taught how to use a sewing machine as a child NOT THAT I HAVE USED ONE SINCE I do know about cutting templates from the original covers. And about scrim foam used to sew in the pleats ( latest piece of new knowledge) Also now about uprating and recommissioning 60 year old sewing machines. and how to convert them for heavy thread and leather work. Another new skill. Even conversant in sewing / machines. Funny the local sewing shops look at me, Leather that be witchcraft. The industrial threads and needles uprated motor LED bulb come via ebay. I also have just today modified the covers of my Kirkey seats as I will be using them in the Sixfire modified to ease access for this old fat carcase. Just to plasma cut the aluminium seat bodies now to suit modded covers. I am putting them in the Sixfire because they are too wide (Fat) for use with door bars on the roll cage in another car project.

Cheers Laurence

Final mods to the 1955 to 1959 Brother Window Matic sewing machine today. She was giving me a quite bit of jip with the heavier thread. Now have her sussed. Now running on industrial needles. Machine is ready to go. Not so sure I am ready to start the cutting into this beautiful hide tho. Measure once cut twice Right ?

Mods to the machine. Original motor 50 W Laurences motor 180 W. Manufacturers recommended max thread weight 80 domestic spool. Laurences thread weight 150 industrial large cone spool (nylon thread). Manufacturers recommended max needle size 19 (Max available domestic needle) Laurences needle 22 Industrial needle. Original worklamp filament bulb 6 w. Laurences bulb also 6 w but LED, equivalent to 15 W filament bulb.

Next job get original seat covers disassembled to use as templates.

One of my mates asked me today if I knew anybody who could sew in a back window into a car hood. I told him I have the machine the needles and the thread to do it. That HE was welcome to borrow it.

Off now to look at some Vintage sewing machine, Quilting and Embroidery web sites. 😳

Laurence

I will be following this thread closely as I have been thinking doing the same.
I'm in the process of clearing my mum's house and she has an old industrial sawing machine.
Not sure how it will stand up to the large needle and thread for leather but she did the sewing of a new zip in my tonneau cover with it. I've checked out a few Youtube video's which explain the different stages. Whats the worst that can happen ?  waste a few bob on leather and admit it's too hard, or get another string for your bow.

Quoted from Dannyb-

I will be following this thread closely as I have been thinking doing the same.
I'm in the process of clearing my mum's house and she has an old industrial sawing machine.
Not sure how it will stand up to the large needle and thread for leather but she did the sewing of a new zip in my tonneau cover with it. I've checked out a few Youtube video's which explain the different stages. Whats the worst that can happen ?  waste a few bob on leather and admit it's too hard, or get another string for your bow.

Now that sound interesting - I'm imagining a huge circular blade like something from a Laurel and Hardy film!

We have to see some pictures!

The Critical thing to remember when modifying a sewing machine to run heavier thread, needle etc is that sewing machines are a really high precision machine, designed with very little margin for error built in. Heavy,ish industrial thread heavy,ish industrial needles mean that the inbuilt margins for error reduce, even become non existent. My machine is RIGHT AT HER VERY LIMIT running Tex 150 thread and a 22 industrial needle. Everything must be absolutely perfect. even the adjustments for the bobbin tension and upper tension become really sensitive. Basically just REALLY LITTLE TWEAKS make huge differences.

Sewing machines can be a PITA.

One of my best mechanical traits is that I will not let complex technical issues beat me. The other is that once I set my mind to do something I know little about, I persist, I learn, I make mistakes, till I can do it. (Or not sometimes)

Never tell me I cannot do something.

You cannot fit programmable engine management to a Gt6. You cannot map an ECU yourself without a rolling road. You cannot fit a swing spring over a rotoflex rear suspension. You cannot replace the carrier bearing on the prop shaft of a Dolomite Sprint (Yes you can Norman). You cannot as a learner Tig weld 0.8 aluminium. You cannot convert Waxstat SU jets without a £40 kit (Yes you can Norman). You cannot restore that rotten car or fix that write off (heard those quite a few times). You cannot rebuild that "SCRAP" (it was) 1950's Lister generator, Or get 20 amps out of it (Yes you can Norman). The latest one. You cannot use an over #86 thread or a #22 industrial needle in an old domestic sewing machine (Yes you can).

As a matter of course I have been repairing the unrepairable all my adult life. It is what I do. Tho I do admit my own shortcomings. Relationships, electronics, form filling, paying bills on time, Photoshop, computer code and anything mathematical etc etc. 

Laurence

Not the Gt6 seats but instead the Kirkeys for the Sixfire. Got the aluminium seats modified today to suit the already altered PVC and foam covers. A couple of quick snips to the ribcage areas with the plasma cutter to the door sides of the seats to allow easier access / exit for fat carcasses. Pic gives a better idea. BTW both sides of seats should be the same. Covers still need a little bit of very easy altering as I decided to cut the seats a little differently from my original plan.
Laurence

Pic shows a test piece from the actual hide. Upper tension on the machine needed MINIMUL tweeks to change from two layers oh heavy vinyl with high density scrim foam to actual leather. happy. smelling mistakes included FREE hellish computer  buttons freezing up.   

I admire your approach Laurence. Let's hope you do not become wrong twice before 🙂.

Regarding hog rings. These bite when trying to re-fit them.  They obviously remember the first time someone grabbed them with pliers when fitting them and have learned not to get caught out a second time.

I used black cable ties, as recommended by Owen at the seat cover place I can never remember the name of. Fit them so the sharp bit stays inboard and they are virtually invisible and are plenty strong enough.

Thanks Michael Had heard of the use of cable ties to do this. DAM COMPUTER BUTTONS STICKING AGAIN. The thing about remembering being wrong Is the remember part. Really bad memory. A mate pulled me up on this one day about an occasion I was wrong. I told him. "Strange, that is exactly the time I remember."   

Laurence

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...