Sheepy

hi all, thought I would delve into the vast knowledge of you all.

Does anyone know the best (cheapest) place to buy Cunifer (kunifer) however it's spelt, brake pipe.

I'm looking for 3/8" tubing, and about 30 ish meters! Or more if it's cheaper.

It's bloody expensive over here, was quoted today for 7 mtrs, wait for it, €106 yes that's one hundred and six  ;D
so it will be cheaper to order it from uk me thinks, but where?

Thank all in advance
Shaun

Saw some down at the Mini run in brighton. A std roll (25feet??) was £17 I think.
or fleabay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=kunifer+brake+pipe

Agree with Alec, 3/8 is way too big for car brakes.

Agree with Alec about sizes - 3/16 is the standard size for brake piping - but personally as I have said before I prefer not to use copper on a car apart from plastic coated pipe for LPG with its regulated fitting procedures.

Best source is fleabay for most brake stuff especially on price, though stainless end fittings are difficult to find in the correct taper.  Mind you watch out for auction fever - typical price for cupro nickel pipe (Kunifer is a trade name) is £14 - £15 plus postage of £3 - £4 buy it now ..... but one 25 metre coil went for twice this in auction ??)  Quite by chance I have just been restocking my brake unions and pipe because I have a number of jobs to do on the Rangie and then the Triumphs in preparation for sorting them out.

When flaring cupro nickel you cannot use the usual cheapie hand flaring tool (they usually state in the instructions they are only suitable for copper or aluminium) and you either need a proper lever operated tool which is clamped in a vice (which are expensive), or one of the more expensive hand flaring tools though they can be hard work but are necessary for forming a flare on a pipe in the car if making a repair.

One of the slight disadvantages of cupro nickel as I have said before is that in being a tougher tube than copper, while it can be bent by hand the smaller radius bends are best bent with small benders to avoid kinking the pipe.  I have a selection of appropriate benders for doing this work and if any members are in need of having some pipe made up I don't mind helping them out by doing it at cost but they will have to come over to me in the Forest of Dean.

Ted

piman wrote:
Hello Sheepy,

what do you need it for as 3/8" is very large, brake lines are normally 3/16" and clutch lines often 1/4".

If you want if for a fuel line, central heating copper pipe would do the job (10mm)

Alec

With the ever increasing amount of ethanol in fuels Alec, is copper the best bet for fuel lines now as that gets corroded by the ethanol doesn't it?
I ask as I will be doing some fuel line work on the estate soon.

Colin.

Hi all,

Yes it's 3/8" I'm looking for, I have a ex military amphibious truck, 1968, it has air over hydraulic brakes, 4 pot disc calipers all round (6 wheels) they stop very well, in fact when you jump on the anchor pedal, you can lift the rear wheels.

It uses 3/8 tubing, and lots of it! also for interest, they do not use normal brake fluid, it rots all the seals, you have to use LHM fluid, like the citroen cars use, and it's bloody expensive.  :'(

Boys and their toys!  :P

I will have a gander on e.bay, at the worst I could use 10mm, as if I'm correct 3/8 is 9.5250mm. So would just need to open out the fittings a little.

Cheers
Shaun

Hello Shaun.

I only suggested 10mm as it is readily available. However 3/8" copper pipe is also available, used amongst other things in air conditioning systems.  I take Ted's comment about using copper but if you ensure that it is rigidly clipped with about double the number of clips that conventional brake line use.  It was the normal brake piping used prior to the war.
Where do you live by the way?

Alec

Hi Alec,

I'm now living in Belgium, that's why it's harder to get imperial bit here! Some of the parts shops look at you bemused when you ask for 3/8" pipe!

And the few places I found that do it, want a fortune for it.

I was looking at conifer as it's better quality than plain copper, but I may end up getting copper at this rate.

Thanks
Shaun

yeh its a stolly!

mine is a 1968 MK2 Alvis Stalwart
6x6 high mobility load carrier
rolls royce 6.5 ltr engine (petrol) straight 8, they sound lovely, but they sup the juice

originally designed for the cold war, thier main role was supplying the tanks with fuel and ammo, they will go almost anywhere.
the amphibious capability was because they were intended to be used in germany, and in a war situation bridges would be blown up, cutting off the tanks and armour, no problem we will just swim accross.

so some pictures, (these are from the web, as i have no decent ones of mine yet) will have to ask my friend to take some when we next go playing, as i will be too busy driving it.    :P

piman wrote:
Hello Shaun,

a quick google brought this up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-X-25-FT-CUPRO-NICKEL-KUNIFER-BRAKE-PIPE-/200293289147 , seems a reasonable price although I don't know the postage to Belgium?

Alec

Thanks Alec,
I will order some from them, have it sent to my mates house as he comes over here every other week.

Want to get her all sorted for end of next month, there is a big charity off road day that I want to go to.
Look on you tube, alvis stalwart off road egem, that rusty old girl is my mates one, mechanically excellent, just looks rough, he has a second that he is restoring nut and bolt! Will look amazing when done.

Cheers
Shaun

4526 wrote:
shaun,

that's a nice machine you got there !  ;)

Kind regards Wim

Tanks wim,
Hopefully next month (24th) I'm taking it to egem (tielt) for the charity off road day, if your in the area pop over have a look, I will take you for a spin!

Cheers
Shaun