SU Hs6 Carbs on a GT6

Upriis

I understand some people have used the late saloon manifold, and had some alterations to get it to fit. Not sure if they cut and welded the tubes or mikked the faces. That manifold is much better than the GT6 version, if you can get it to fit! Worth experimenting with air intake too, ie getting a cold air feed rather than just bolt on K+N's. Still headscratching on this one! And the 6>3>1 manifold is the one to have, but thats still under (hot) debate as to which one etc.

Best bet is to get it set up well on the rollers, get the suspension properly set up with optiflex alignment and have lots of fun!

Clive

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also eagerly awaiting the final outcome on the best exhaust manifold to use. unfortunately I purchased the triumphtune one about 6 years ago as they were the only so called performance ones that I knew of at the time.
I am toying with the idea of making up an alloy airbox with a K&N cone filter attached to suitable hose up in front of the rad.

never heard of optiflex alignment ??) is it an industry standard?

anyone any experiance of fitting a late saloon manifold to a GT6???

• 1 year later...

If you do have HS6's fitted on a stock GT6 manifold you really should fit the fuel bowls as described above. It makes a complete difference to the fueling throughout the rev range. without them you can balance the carbs ok at idle but as soon as the throttle is opened, due to the different parts of the metering needle being used it immediately goes out of balance.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I ran the car tonight with the new carbs.

OUT STANDING.

She was pulling up hill in 5th gear!

I used to have a vib at 4K, thats gone.

I now think the old carbs were maybe choking out at the top end.

A few bugs to sort out, I need to fix the floats. I'm getting surging at idle and shooting flames out of the pipes :)

A.

AndreGT6 wrote:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I ran the car tonight with the new carbs.

OUT STANDING.

She was pulling up hill in 5th gear!

I used to have a vib at 4K, thats gone.

I now think the old carbs were maybe choking out at the top end.

A few bugs to sort out, I need to fix the floats. I'm getting surging at idle and shooting flames out of the pipes :)

A.

I don't have a 5th gear  :'(

Andre, how do you have your fuel line routed?

Overdrive?:)

Fuel line is on the left side of the car.

Tank, filter, pump and along the frame beside the brake line.
Pops up the firewall, to a clear filter, up and around the front of the block.

Then I have a T splitting the run between the 2 carbs.

http://www.gt6.ca/06/0323/slides/DSCN0430.html
http://www.gt6.ca/06/0323/slides/DSCN0433.html
http://www.gt6.ca/06/0504b/slides/IMG_7604.html
http://www.gt6.ca/06/0504b/slides/IMG_7602.html

Hope that helps.

A.

• 3 years later...

Right gents - another HS6 question:

I've got two pairs of HS6s here - one pair have a throttle return spring on the carbs, the other don't (I presume that these rely on a return spring mounted in the linkage) - any thoughts as to pros / cons?

I would presume that by fitting the return springs to the carbs rather than the linkage would mean a simpler linkage layout, but anything else to consider?

Also - with regards to the petrol feeds - from what I can see, everyone has teed the fuel line and sent separate lines to each bowl - is there any advantage to this as opposed to taking the bowl-top from the Spit which takes a single feed into the rear carb then has an output feed to the front one - I thought that this might be a neater set-up?

npanne,
The return springs directly on the carb also avoid a pull in one direction on the throttle shaft. Such a pull can lead to oval wear of both the shaft and the carb body. Where possible a cap over the blind end of the throttle shaft will keep that end from drawing in dirt which can act as abrasive powder on the bushing area of the carburetter body. Of course the caps also cut off the air leakage at that end of the shaft.
                                                                          All the best,
                                                                          Paul