1500 single SU needle number

andycon67

Has anyone got a needle number for a single SU fitted to a 1500 ? It's is actually a 1 3/4 hif as fitted to a MG Metro. Any help on needles for a 1500 will help as I have free flow exhaust and a k&n filter, electronic ignition apart from that engine is standard ish.              Thanks
Andy:

Hello Andy,

judging by the lack of response your setup is not common?

You may just have to do the selection by yourself. Start by setting the idle mixture, it doesn't really matter which needle as the idle dimension is much the same of all needles of that group. Don't be tempted to alter the mixture after getting the idle right, it will need a different needle unless you are very lucky. Either road test or rolling road if you are feeling flush.

If you don't know of this, it will give some guidance and comparison between the various needles:-  http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/upload/mintylamb.htm

Alec

I thought that a single HS6 was fitted to some 1500FWD cars, but my Haynes SU book doesn't show it.  Mind you, it doesn't show any single HS4s either and I know they existed! Another source shows only HS4 (AAK needle).  Is your single manifold originally intended for a 1.75" carb or did you modify it to suit?

Some experimentation may be needed though I have a vague recollection that John Thomason experimented with this combination along with several others and it being documented in the TSSC magazine - many years ago!

Nick

Dolly manifold so equal inlet tract, carb to manifold face machined out to 1" 3/4 from 1" 1/2 ,mini throttle linkage plate.  

Hope photos come out.

I thought one of the 1500 Dolly had a single carb also, Mr Kipping had this set up on his Van.

Andy

A friend may years ago ran a 1380 Mini van with a single Hif7 (1 7/8"), no lack a performance there, 96bhp at the wheels.

a single carb with the right manifold can work very well, as Mr Kipping found. With the added advantage of being easier to setup and maintain.

Thomason was swapping a single hs4 for twins on a weekly basis when he was using his daily driver as a racecar (entirely successfully, iirc he won the championship once, maybe twice?)
Anyway, his experiment was meticulous, and showed a single was slightly more economical, with a slight power loss. The differences surprisingly small.
Kipping indeed used single hs6 carbs very effectively, and I suspect canleys will have the needle specs for a few setups, so worth a call. May even be online on the website, or in the old paper catalogue (mine still packed from our housemove  :-/ )

Thank you all for your reply's .

I will look into needle numbers thank you.

The engine it is going onto is bog standard 1500 so not looking for a power increase but an easier set up better on juice and only worse higher up the rev range which 1500 dont like as this one is standard ish. It has a DBL needle in at the moment MG Metro 1300 this is rich for a 1300 and i can compare needles on Minty.
I have a set of twin 1"1/2  which will go on my played with 1500 (but not built yet) because that will be revving higher thus the single may or may not hold my back a bit but will try both.
Thanks again for all your comments this forum is GREAT !

Andy