gap window reskinned door

Martin M

Hi,
after reskinning the doors of the Herald, I have to weld them together where outer skin and inner part are coming together beneath the 1/4 light. I measured the old doors before grinding away the skin. LH door had 21 mm at the front, 26mm behind the 1/4 light and 20mm at the end. RH door had 22 mm at the front, 22mm behind the 1/4 light and 19mm at the rear.
So a bunch of figures.
Does someone have some doors where the windows are working well and could measure the distance?

Cheers
Martin

On the subject of door skins (I said DOOR skins!), I've got a number of doors which need a new lower skin section letting in. Where is the best place to get lower skin repair sections from these days? I know my old Herald had them done on one side of the car. Is it the usual suspects, Canleys/Fitchets/Chic etc? Anyone know if they're all the same quality etc?

Also, does anyone know how high up the door the repair skins go? I've seen on Canley's website they also have door shell repair sections. I was thinking of cutting the bottom off the skin to see how bad the shell is, but i don't want to cut too much off the skin and then find I need a whole new skin!

I also have a NOS door that's never been fitted, but that one is being kept for a very special project 😉

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
On the subject of door skins (I said DOOR skins!), I've got a number of doors which need a new lower skin section letting in. Where is the best place to get lower skin repair sections from these days? I know my old Herald had them done on one side of the car. Is it the usual suspects, Canleys/Fitchets/Chic etc? Anyone know if they're all the same quality etc?

I got my repair sections from Fitchett's in Telford and found them to be good quality but that was 2012.

Cracking, that gives me some idea of how high up the door skin the repair sections go. Looking at that, of the 6 doors I have only three or four will be repairable without a full skin. Will probably get mine from Canleys when I get round to it as they're local to my parents... and Fitchett's say one side is £120!! Can get a whole skin for less!

(and Fitchett's say one side is £120!! Can get a whole skin for less}

Are you saying Fitchett's have said £120.00 for the Lower Repair Panel per side ?? if I recall I paid about £20.00 per side.

With regard to the Full Door Skin I was under the impression they ALL came from Fitchett's anyway as they have the original Tooling but I may be wrong.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Cracking, that gives me some idea of how high up the door skin the repair sections go. Looking at that, of the 6 doors I have only three or four will be repairable without a full skin. Will probably get mine from Canleys when I get round to it as they're local to my parents... and Fitchett's say one side is £120!! Can get a whole skin for less!

Thats an error, I called them about that. Apparently TSSC run the site for them. They will charge you the correct price if you call.