Fitting Fibreglass Valance

Matt306

I know there are differing opinions on Fibreglass vs steel, however i have opted fibreglass for the valances and sills on my 13/60. The price of the steel front valance is too much at the mo!

I am having a devil of a job fitting the fibreglass one though, could anyone oblige with pictures of a fitted one?

2487 wrote:
I am having a devil of a job fitting the fibreglass one though, could anyone oblige with pictures of a fitted one?

Do you mean a fitted fibreglass valance, or an original?
I can't speak for the current products, but for the past 20 years I've not seen a correctly moulded fibrglass valance. All have been moulded too short (front to back) so the valance's rear edge is about an inch forward of the wheelarch. There's not a lot you can do about it if this is the ind of problem you're getting,

Cheers,
Bill.

Not even to that issue! I am just trying to get it to fit on to the brackets at the rear of the overriders. I am wondering if i was supplied with a 1200 valance but don't know the difference.

I know the fit isn't as good as steel but that isn't an issue at the moment as a rolling resto will be on going.

I could do with a pic of a fitted Fibreglass one, if someone can oblige!

This one came from Honeybourne.

The cheapest steel one i have found is £129 +VAT

Do you mean 612081?

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/vitesseiibonnetassembly.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/vitesse.html&category=bodyandfittings&xsl=diagram.xsl

That's just clarification for others. I've not got over-riders on mine and can't remember how it fitted so I'm not much use!

I bought a second hand front valence for my 13/60 and discovered it was a 1200 item... I cut away the centre section from my old steel valence (the lip part that fits between the overriders) and did the same to the fibreglass item. Then transplanted the steel to the fibreglass and riveted and bonded it in place.

Well I was talking to one of the chaps at TD Fitchetts, and he said all of the Herald mild steel panels come from them (He showed me the press tools for most of them). So if Quiller are selling the front valances for less than Fitchetts (which they are by around £50-60), then either Quiller have another supplier making them or they are making a loss.

Interesting.

Depends how much they sell for at trade. If you can sell more to other traders at a price near enough to what it costs to make, store and sell them yourself then it's good business. I'd imagine they spend a lot of time on the shelves waiting to be sold and reducing the profit they make. Any you sell on your own are an added bonus.