GT6 engine earth strap

Rubce

Should go from bell housing bolt on left side to left hand suspention turret. you could go to the battery neg if you wanted. I bought a cheap universal grounding boy racer kit for my spitfire and wired it to the earths of major electrical parts and earthing mounting points back to the battery. after that everything worked so much better. Even the window wipers were faster and stronger. Only cost £15. Bargain.

Chris.

On my 1972 GT6 Mk3, the ground (-) cable goes from the battery, grounds via a clamp thing to a hole in one of the buttresses of the battery box, passes behind the battery box buttresses, a clamp thing in the center is attached at one of the gearbox bellhousing-to-engine bolts, & the clamp thing at the end is attached via a short bolt to a hole in the back of the cylinder head.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiiibatteryandleads.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/gt6mkiii.html&category=electricalequipment&xsl=diagram.xsl

The picture below is from the initiation of the successful college kid engine rebuild in 1979 after 3 years of having the car.  Original battery cable, new terminal end, steel coolant pipe already superseded by a length of heater hose, a new battery box already & that one on its way out, who knows how many master cylinder rebuids &/or replacements but something recent evidenced by their shininess, evap canister mounted on the shelf as I remembered it always being so, overdrive added & wiring made of zip cord, the firewall as I don't ever recall having been so stripped of paint, & a light dusting of sawdust from other projects carried on in the family garage.  The two blocked holes below right of the battery box were where the hoses from the dealer-installed original air conditioning entered the passenger compartment.  Things sure got better from here!

The valve cover & cap are incorrect for the year.  This was a used engine that went poof put in by the BL/JRT dealership after their rebuild of the original engine went poof after about a year.  It seemed like every time it went in for service at the dealership, it came out a little more beat up.

Look!  You can see the ribbed triangular air flap at the center!   I still have it!

rotoflex wrote:
On my 1972 GT6 Mk3, the ground (-) cable goes from the battery, grounds via a clamp thing to a hole in one of the buttresses of the battery box, passes behind the battery box buttresses, a clamp thing in the center is attached at one of the gearbox bellhousing-to-engine bolts, & the clamp thing at the end is attached via a short bolt to a hole in the back of the cylinder head.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiiibatteryandleads.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/gt6mkiii.html&category=electricalequipment&xsl=diagram.xsl

The picture below is from the initiation of the successful college kid engine rebuild in 1979 after 3 years of having the car.  Original battery cable, new terminal end, steel coolant pipe already superseded by a length of heater hose, a new battery box already & that one on its way out, who knows how many master cylinder rebuids &/or replacements but something recent evidenced by their shininess, evap canister mounted on the shelf as I remembered it always being so, overdrive added & wiring made of zip cord, the firewall as I don't ever recall having been so stripped of paint, & a light dusting of sawdust from other projects carried on in the family garage.  The two blocked holes below right of the battery box were where the hoses from the dealer-installed original air conditioning entered the passenger compartment.  Things sure got better from here!

The valve cover & cap are incorrect for the year.  This was a used engine that went poof put in by the BL/JRT dealership after their rebuild of the original engine went poof after about a year.  It seemed like every time it went in for service at the dealership, it came out a little more beat up.

Look!  You can see the ribbed triangular air flap at the center!   I still have it!

Seems to be sort of the same way as mine at the battery box , just on mine it's on a bell housing bolt

& i also still got that rubber original flap  ;)