Piston Rings gummed up in 13/60 Estate

Richard B

Alison is going to kill me.

We used Frost petrol tank sealent after i nicked the tank with the angle grinder whilst doing the body-work, this sealent is good stuff but it then blocked up the estate petrol tank internal filter, after I cleared that out and got the engine running some of the sealent got into the single Stromberg CD150 carburettor, I blasted that out with compressor through the petrol inlet and got the engine running last night.

Now this morning she wont start and the compressions are shot, I suspect some of that lovely petrol tank sealent got onto the rings and  has gummed it up. Looks like we are using the 2000 estate for the RBRR. We tried putting easy-start in to no avail. I either need something to clean/free the rings in situ or it's an engine out job.

%ugger!!!!!!

It was running really sweet last night.

[quote by=mowerman link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1159958693,s=1 date=1159959171]You could try soaking the bores with Redex or similiar over night and then try to restart it in the morning. Do it outside tho, as there is an impresive amount of white smoke when it does fire  :) [/quote]

and if you turn it over with the plugs out there's an impressive shower of redex everywhere!

Redex would be my recommendation too. It's very good at unsticking rings, though I don't know how it will fare against tank sealant. Is there any recommendation for how to get the sealant of clothes, skin etc? That might give you some idea on the chemical composition of the stuff,
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks guys, I thought of putting some oil down the bore just to raise the conpression. I wondererd whether that and easy start might free the rings up and get it running. But the idea of celulose appeals as I have some to hand.

We are out tonight, but I'll try that tomorrow. If not I'll give the Redex a shot. I'm sure if I can get it running the rings will free/shake themeslves loose. I don't want to have to do another silly engine out job if I can help it.

Reminds me when I put graphogen on the valve stems of a PI (the engine seized after I ran it up for the first time!).

The trouble with the sealent is nothing seems to shift it, thats why it seals petrol tanks. :)

A word of caution regarding using cellulose, it will wash any oil off the bores which could result in premature wear or even cause a ring to score/mark the cylinder :( At least with redex it does have oil like properties and would provide a degree of lubrication upon starting or turning over.

Ah, of course. In which case a paint brush restorer product may well work. basically thin paint stripper so easier to pour. Play havoc in the oil though! Saying that bung some in the bores, plugs back in (it evaporates fast) and leave overnight. Bit of redex next, just to help, and if it will start OK after that change oil pdq. Sounds like a plan to me. Talking of which, sticking rings or valves in my Zetec engine. DAMN!

Clive

I think if used "properly" and allowed to cure for long enough then it IS good stuff - trouble is when people get involved we have a habit of screwing it up, making mistakes, misreading the instructions and generally making an arse of it! Reminds me of the time I carefully read my manual and dutifully reset all my spark plug gaps because they were waaaay out, then the engine wouldn't fire - only then did I realise that I had metric feeler gauges in my hand and was reading imperial measurements!

I took the head off Monday night after RBRR. The inlet valves were all gummed up in the stems and the faces. I persuaded the valves to leave the guides with a drift and a hammer. I expect to O/H the head and put it back together on Sunday.

I think the rings are going to be ok as the exhaust valves were fine, its only the inlet valves that were Bu&&ered. The valves were absolutely solid in the guides!

I'll let everyone know how we get on after the weekend.

Archived